​8 Things You Learned If You Were Raised On Rock And Roll

Rock is your roots and it will always be important to you.

816
Kelsey Radigan

Being raised on rock and roll is a little different than simply loving it. Being raised on it means your parents introduced you to rock at a young age and it shaped your whole life. You learned your alphabet knowing A is for Aerosmith and Z is for Zeppelin. You walked to school to the beat of “Start Me Up” and "Thunderstruck." Rock and roll is in your blood, and it’s taught you a lot of what you know. Here are 8 things you most definitely learned from being raised on rock:

1. How to stand out and be proud of yourself

Rockers don’t care what other people think. They are shamelessly themselves at all times. Growing up with idols who don’t take criticism to heart and speak their own minds made you fearless.

2. To appreciate musical talent

Especially in pop music today, it is very easy to love an artist solely for his or her voice and forget about the music. Listening to extremely talented musicians play iconic solos completely shaped how you view music. It is a complex art with so many different layers; you have an appreciation for each one.

3. Your parents are pretty cool

If you were raised on rock and roll, your parents introduced you to the music you know and love. As you got older, it was probably easier to appreciate their great taste in music and bond with them over it.

4. It’s OK to feel pain

Just like everyone else, even your favorite tough and energetic rock idols know what it’s like to be heartbroken or to hit rock bottom. If these loud, outgoing bands can feel pain, you can too.

5. Listening to vinyl isn’t just an aesthetic

It’s how classic rock was meant to be listened to. There’s something magical about putting "Led Zeppelin III" or "The Dark Side of the Moon" on the turntable, watching the label artwork spin, and letting every sound compliment the record.

6. Rock is timeless

Rock is inspiring generation after generation. These lyrics, melodies, and feelings connect people to each other. There’s a reason to this day everyone knows at least one song from The Beatles. Rock has the power to stay in everyone’s lives and leave a lasting impression through memories of old songs and the birth of new ones.

7. How to play music

Chances are, if you have listened to Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Child,” you’ve probably been inspired to try and play it yourself. You’ve probably owned a guitar, bass or drum set at one point in time, and maybe you even stuck with it and started a band of your own.

8. Rock is the best music genre

Whether you stick to classic rock or you’ve branched out to other forms of rock, it’s still the only genre that speaks to you in every way. Rock is your roots, and it will always be important to you.