8 Things Every Person In The World Forgets To Be Thankful For

Being thankful for family and friends is easy...being thankful for this 'stuff' is true.

31

It's easy to be thankful for yummy food, success, living family members, great friendships, and flourishing relationships. But, consider being thankful for the following and it might make you a stronger more insightful individual.

Hunger Pains-

If you feel hungry, you’re alive. If you feel any pain at all, you are alive. Be thankful for your pain.

Bad Grades (or failure in general)-

A student came to me today crying because she received a 'C' on a paper that I witnessed her work extremely hard on. This 'A' student felt wrecked and defeated. But, after she dried her tears, she and I sat down and worked through how to make her essay better with revision. Failing at something is one of the best catalysts for improvement. Be thankful for your failures, learn from them, and move on.

Being 'Broke'-

Money is surely the root of all evil. I promise that people who have all the money in the world and choose to use it selfishly and ridiculously are not any happier than you broke college students. Also, having little and having to work a lot is the best character creator. Being handed your success and never having to scrub a floor or bus a table is the killer of all good work ethics. Thank the sun, moon, and stars for your struggle. The very best people in the world make something out of nothing.

Break-ups-

Whether it’s your fault, their fault, the sky’s fault…it’ll be okay. Time heals all wounds and failed relationships teach you, I think, THE MOST about yourself and other people. Not everything is meant to last forever. The best lessons I have learned about myself as a human did not come from sitting in Brit Lit class or taking an extra tutor session. The best lessons I have learned in life have come from being hurt by others, learning about how I myself have hurt others, and learning to pick yourself up by your stiletto straps, and move on glittering and gleaming a little more than before. Some of the best art, writing, poetry, music, films, etc. come from the notion of "love being lost". What's bad for your heart is good for your art. Use your hurt. Make it beautiful...and be thankful you have a soul that recognizes other people's experiences with love in relation to your own.

Loss/death of a family member/ friend/ pet-

This may sound morbid…but we are ALL going to die. Be thankful if you lose someone who was close to you because logic says that if you lost someone who was close to you, then you, at some point in your life, had someone who was close to you. Sounds a bit silly, I know. But, think about it. Keep your memories close by, even if they hurt (remember, pain means you’re alive, whether it physical or emotional pain). Alfred Lord Tennyson said it best…”’this better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”.

Stress-

People who stress probably have ambitions, aspirations, longings, and goals. Use your stress productively when you can. If you’re reading this, and that “thing” (or things) comes to mind that is currently stressing you out, know that because you feel stressed about it that it probably means you are going to accomplish whatever goal that is. Not ever caring about anything or feeling stressed about anything is a sign of an unmotivated person. Stressing is ok. Be thankful you are a caring, careful, and a little bit stressed out person.

Arguments-

Communication can be a tricky task. Sometimes, disagreements can advance and further relationships. It is okay to not agree on something with others. It means you and your counterpart in the conversation are free-thinking individuals who do not succumb and mimic one another and each other’s ideas. How boring would this world be if we all agreed? Peace would not exist in this instance, although some might think it would. Why wouldn’t it, you ask? Well, if everyone agreed, there would be one major idea (think about…and this is an extreme example, but…a dictatorship) and everyone else in the world who agreed and followed. What if Hitler had obtained agreement from the entire world and there was “world peace” after he successfully carried out his repulsive plan? Well, no one would be arguing right? Yeah, true... and the world would also be the most terrible/boring/sadistic place ever. So, disagreements (in a rational and kind way) are what make the world go round and advance the world in so many ways. Be thankful for those who do not agree with you. Be kind to them, and kindness will spread through discussion and articulation.

A super long TODO list-

If you are like me, you have a never-ending list of things you must try to accomplish every day and it never fails that most of the things “things” roll over into the next day’s TODO list…and the list never quite seems to vanish. If you are waking up every morning and “doing” a bunch of stuff…you’re alive…you’re needed…you are wanted…you are important…and you are productive. Love that TO DO list like it’s your own daily love yourself and others list.