8 Things College Students Will Run Into Trying to Get to Class

Whether it's logging onto Zoom or running to campus, there's always something.

39

The fall semester of 2020 is quite unique, to say the least. Normally, there are the typical things you'll run into trying to get to class, but this year there is a whole set of new obstacles accompanying online classes. Here's a list of 8 things you are bound to run into either on campus or online when trying to get to class on time.

1. Slow Walkers

https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-power-davis-rajai-GgpcAExbkgEw

Nothing is more infuriating than someone who is just minding their business on the sidewalk when you're trying to book it to class. This might be a southern vs. northern thing, but the skinny sidewalks of the College of Charleston make slow walkers all the more worse.

2. Internet Connection Going Down

https://giphy.com/gifs/sword-samurai-quit-2HWWvU3wXwZna

This is something that can occur when trying to log into online class sessions or in the middle of class. And then nothing is worse than when you have a teacher who doesn't pay attention to the waiting room on Zoom. You'll be stuck in there for half the class once your internet finally comes back.

3. Trying to Find a Parking Spot

https://giphy.com/gifs/perfect-cars-job-tAB101YENjLdC

This is something only commuters to a larger school may face, but it seems like it always occurs when there was already a bunch of literal roadblocks in the way prior to reaching campus. Pre-COVID, I swear anytime I got stuck behind a drawbridge or road construction I'd also have nowhere to park in the dreaded parking garage.

4. Trying to Find a Laptop Charger

https://giphy.com/gifs/netflix-andrew-exasperated-3ov9jIoFd00talgv72

A dead laptop is something you're bound to run into if you're trying to log into a morning class. The night before, you couldn't find your laptop charger, so you said, "Eh, I'll find it in the morning before class." Saying you'll do something in the morning before class is the worst thing you could tell yourself. Now it's three minutes until your 8 a.m. and you can't find your charger.

5. Two Bros Bro-Hugging on the Sidewalk

https://giphy.com/gifs/thebachelorette-season-15-the-bachelorette-thebacheloretteabc-Y3AvigGSxhdqW50oOS

Pre-COVID, I cannot even count on my fingers and toes how many bro-hugs I got stuck behind trying to make it to class. Love the enthusiasm, but can't you save it for the Kappa Alpha darty at 4 p.m.?

6. Getting Stuck in the Waiting Room on Zoom

https://giphy.com/gifs/computer-monkey-KpACNEh8jXK2Q

I mentioned earlier about getting stuck in the Zoom waiting room, but I feel like it deserves its own spot on this list. The thing about this is that what are you even supposed to do in such a situation? If you have a professor that doesn't pay attention to the waiting room, what else are you supposed to do besides sit there staring at the screen? You can't email them because what makes you think they'll check their email in the middle of class if they aren't even checking the waiting room.

7. Getting Stuck at the Longest Crosswalk

https://giphy.com/gifs/walk-trolling-crosswalk-l0HlyhRYAjPsZc4A8

You can see halfway down the sidewalk that there are 5 seconds left on the crosswalk. It sinks in that you aren't going to make it in time and you have to accept the defeat. You start watching the light to see when it turns red so you can start crossing immediately, before the crosswalk light even turns into the pedestrian.

8. Losing the Class Link in Your E-mail

https://giphy.com/gifs/jess-SX71qs3TDxVkvbLJ4o

Professors who have the online class links posted at all times or somewhere that's easily accessible are a Godsend. You know exactly where to go to join the class. However, some professors send the link once or twice at the beginning of the semester and when class time rolls around your stuck sifting through emails trying to find the reoccurring meeting link.

There are various other obstacles we may face trying to get to class, like rain, getting hit by a car on your bike (I witnessed this), getting run over by a bike (this happened to me, which I had the right away btw), you name it. Additionally, with this new emergence of synchronous online learning, the possibilities are going to be truly endless. All we can do is persevere, avoid burning out (too late!), and maybe try to get ready for class a little earlier.