8 Things Being A Theatre Nerd Gave Me

8 Things Being A Theatre Nerd Gave Me

There's more to it than screaming your face off with a spotlight on you.

168
8 Things Being A Theatre Nerd Gave Me
Kate Piering

I am a theatre nerd. Let me say it louder to truly demonstrate the lack of embarrassment I feel for this: I AM A THEATRE NERD. I am that person who strangely relates to Broadway showtunes, who gets giddy and excited every time a new musical is released, and who is always dragging on and on about the current show she is in on her social media. There are a plethora of different reasons why I'm proud to be the person I am, but there are specific reasons why I take pride in theater; it gave me lessons, characteristics, practices, and values that I find myself practicing every day.

• 6.Perseverance in stressful times.

Auditions, callbacks, line memorization, dance calls, sudden onstage improvisation, unexpected offstage injuries, pre-performance nerves, cast romances, competition among cast members, TECH WEEK, clashing with the crew, costumes, closing night melancholy, and so much more. These are all merely some of the ways in which being in live theatre is stressful and overwhelming. However, these are all things that I have learned to endure with a positive attitude and persevere through. In all honesty, I have even learned to embrace them. I can say with complete sincerity that I look forward to the fast scene and costume changes that are so quick it feels as if you'll never make them, the tech rehearsals that go until ten or eleven at night, the jitters on opening night that feel as if they will never go away. I live for it all.

The ability to befriend anyone.

When I say anyone, I mean anyone. There is no doubt that there is a stereotype that those involved in theatre tend to have strong personalities. That being said, it is unrealistic to think that you can vibe with everyone you meet who is in theater. However, when in a show, there is only a short period of time for everybody in the cast, crew, and creative team to gain the trust of one another and get close enough to be able to stand on a stage under bright lights while relying on one another to say and do the right things night after night. Therefore, you have to be able to relate and befriend every single person -- even the people that might not mesh well with you initially.

Motivation to try new things.

I am not a dancer. I have never been a dancer. I will likely never be a dancer. I have never understood how people can make their bodies move in a way that looks so smooth, natural, effortless, and put together all at the same time. However, as someone who has been a part of musical theater for a number of years now, I have had to do my share of dancing. I have even been frequently mistaken to be a professional dancer and given solos, special routines, and all the more. Does this scare me? Oh, yeah. Does it make my anxiety shoot through the roof on a thousand rockets before every single performance? You bet'cha. But being in theater has also given me the motivation to try new things despite my fears and doubts. At every audition, even though I am sure that I will not look like a dancer, I still put my all in the movement part and push myself to go for it and do my best.

Patience with myself.

If there is one thing that I have known for a number of years now, it is that I love singing. But needless to say, singing has not always loved me. When I was a sophomore in high school, my voice was hoarse for months on end. Despite my best efforts with tea, water, sleep, and more, I would consistently wake up with a tired voice that made it challenging to sing. I had to go to voice therapy for a year. The process was exhausting, grueling, and pushed me in ways I had never been pushed before. I had to be patient with my voice and myself, which helped me ultimately grow as a performer and person.

An escape.

"Leave your troubles outside…we have no troubles here! Here, life is beautiful!". These words from the musical Cabaret sum up the escape from reality that theater has given me for years. Regardless of what happened earlier in the day -- be it the drama with your best friend, the disheartening conversation you just had with your parents, or even the fact that your crush left you on read on Snapchat – walking into rehearsal has always been like walking into an alternate universe. I feel no stress (except the occasional crap, I forgot my line and I already bragged about how I was so prepared with my lines and now everyone is going to know that I lied about it). Rather, I feel love and care from a plethora of people who are all together and in the same space with the same goals and hopes.

The ability to cherish memories.

Nothing lasts forever. Just as that one bad day doesn't last forever, your birthday week doesn't last forever, and your time on the varsity sports' team doesn't last forever…neither does your time doing a particular show. The point of being in a live theatrical show is not to create something that can be watched, lived, and experienced over and over again, but rather to create something that may not physically last forever, but will stay within our hearts, thoughts, and minds forever. The community, family, and connections created between everyone involved will never fully go away. The 'show-mances', unnecessary friend drama, and in-cast competition for those dream roles will help you grow stronger through every performance.

Perseverance in stressful times.

Confidence in front of crowds.

I work as a tour guide on my college campus. As expected, that job requires an ability to talk in front of groups, sound confident in my statements and answers, and also appear outgoing and energetic in front of others. I have been told countless times that I excel at this and I owe much of that to my experience in theater. When on stage, there is no time or excuse for acting timid, shy, quiet, or insecure. Once must place all of their insecurities aside and simple be. As a result, I know how to act in front of groups and speak up.

My favorite thing ever.

I love theatre. I love performing. I love the rush of being in front of crowds and singing songs that I personally connect with. I love meeting new people, becoming absurdly close with them, and being able to create a beautiful showcase of art that is only fully experienced in person. I love the stressful rehearsal processes, the nerve-racking auditions, the makeup and costumes, and the sadness of a show ending. But I wouldn't give up the lessons and things that it taught me for anything else in the world. And for that, I'm proud to be a theatre nerd.