8 TED Talks Every Young Adult Should Watch

TED talks that all college students should view

2920
https://www.ted.com

TED is, from their website, "a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world. [They] believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world." In other words, TED talks are short talks about various topics ranging from motivational talks to state-of-the-art technology to discovering things about yourself.

I have chosen 8 TED talks that every young adult, especially students, should watch. I believe after reviewing this list and watching the videos provided, you will have learned a useful skill or two and find new motivation to add to your repertoire.

I will be providing a small teaser into each video. I recommend you check out any or all of the videos that you find interesting. Please remember to share this article so that other friends and family can view this list of powerful talks!

1. How do you define yourself? - Lizzie Velasquez

I decided to put this talk first because it is one of the most motivational speeches I have heard in the recent years. Elizabeth "Lizzie" Velasques is a motivational speaker who was born with a VERY RARE congenital disease that prevents her from gaining ANY weight.

In this talk, she addresses the difficulties that she faced in her life and how she turns them around for the better.

2. My philosophy for a happy life. - Sam Berns

This article goes very well as a follow up to Elizabeth's talk. Same Berns "suffers" from a rare genetic disease called progeria. This disease is characterized by physical signs and symptoms suggestive of premature old age. In other words, at age 17 (the age he was during this talk) he seems visibly aged based on his skin and body.

Sam, like Elizabeth, talks about his struggle with his illness and how he tries to focus on the good in life. Sam discusses how he looks towards the "can do" instead of the "can-nots." These two videos can inspire almost anyone to shoot for their goals because even the hardest obstacles can be overcome.

3.The Skill of Self Confidence - Dr. Ivan Joseph

Dr. Joseph talks about the SKILL of self confidence. Not the trait, the skill. He believes that self confidence can be taught and learned through "practice practice practice."

This professor/soccer coach includes in talk the idea of positive self talk and positive thoughts. Go and watch this very good talk on how to train yourself to be more confident in your everyday life.

This is a very useful skill for young students who are taking on new responsibilities such as work, leadership positions, etc.

4. Your body language shapes who you are - Amy Cuddy

Body language can speak louder than words. Someone can read you without you even saying a word. Amy Cuddy talks about many different body language types and what they can tell you by them.

Body language is a useful thing to keep in mind as a young adult. Body language can tell you who's in power in a conversation, how someone is feeling, or if someone is confident to name a few.

I personally have used some of these tips in interview for jobs, with superiors and with other peers to know how the other party is responding and how my body language is speaking to others.

5. How to know your life purpose in 5 minutes - Adam Leipzig

I really enjoyed this one. I wish I could spoil it right now and just type what he said!

Please listen to Adam's five steps to finding your life purpose. After the five steps, he discloses why this technique is so powerful. I highly recommend this video.

6. How to spot a liar - Pamela Meyer

This video has come to my attention from two different people at two different times. That is because this video is so true when it comes to spotting a liar. Pamela Meyer gives you very useful tools to spotting lies and why they are lying.

This is just a useful guide to help you know who is lying versus who is telling the truth.

7. How to speak so that people want to listen - Julian Treasure

Julian Treasure presents us with the "7 deadly sins of speaking." These seven forms of communication can weaken your speech. By avoiding these forms of communication, you will be better able to have the attention you want during your talks and have a better audience reaction to your talks.

8. How to live before you die - Steve Jobs

Now this isn't necessarily a TED talk but I would be a fool if I didn't include this in my list. Steve Jobs gave a commencement speech at Stanford University. In the speech, Jobs talks about how he faced setback after setback. How thanks to those setback, he is where he is today. Ultimately, this is a motivational speech that "urges us to pursue our dreams and see that opportunities in life's setbacks."

Please share this article if you find any of these videos informative or helpful!

1.) How do you define yourself

2.) My philosophy for a happy life

3.) The skill of self confidence

4.) Your body language shapes who you are

5.) How to know your life purpose in 5 minutes

6.) How to spot a liar

7.) How to speak so that people want to listen

8.) How to live before you die