8 Mexican Holiday Traditions That Non-Mexicans May Find Strange

Basically a lot of tamales.

2405
kiwiblog

1. Eating grapes

It’s a tradition that derived from Spain, and one that makes me very uncomfortable, seriously... It’s like the chubby bunny challenge but with grapes. It’s physically impossible to fit 12 grapes into your mouth while ALSO coming up with 12 wishes in your head, all in 12 seconds.

2. Three kings

Honestly, I can’t complain about this one. It’s like a second christmas. Every 6th of January commemorates the three wise men who traveled from afar, bearing gifts for the infant baby Jesus. Which also means that kids can expect three gifts from the kings.

3. Three kings cake

Also on January 6th, where we take a big bundt-looking cake and hide a toy baby inside the cake. Then, whoever cuts a piece and unknowingly finds a tiny plastic baby has to bring tamales for the whole family. Unfortunately, I’ve gotten a baby in my piece every single year, but do I go out and buy tamales? No, an 8-year old does not have the money to buy tamales, nor does a college student.

4. Candlemas

Candlemas, or Día de la Candelaria, marks the end of the Christmas season on February 2nd. On this day people dress up their Niños Dios (Christ child figures) and take them to the church to be blessed. Afterwards, everyone enjoys tamales provided by the poor soul that got the baby in their cake. This holiday also provides an excuse for your mom to keep christmas decorations outside for all of January until the neighbors complain.

5. La posada

Basically when we re-enact the Holy Family's nine-day journey to Bethlehem and their search for shelter by holding candles and walking around to our friend’s houses singing carols. This usually ends in tamales, but I’m not complaining. However, try going around an american neighborhood singing carols while also asking to go into their house to eat their food; it doesn’t pan out quite how you’d expect it to.

6. Celebrating Christmas on the 24th

Christmas Eve is more than just the night of waiting for santa for us. It's when we have our christmas dinner and when you expect to have your 20+ cousins over at your house to exchange gifts. Christmas day is just a day to play with our new gifts and eat leftovers, which also require inviting all your 20+ cousins back.

7. December Fool’s day?

Mexicans celebrate April fool’s day on December 28th, AKA Los santos Inocentes or “the innocent souls.” Its just as bad as the April one.

8. No stocking stuffers

Yeah, we don’t do stocking stuffers, saving us a trip to the dollar section of Target. We also don’t mail our letter to Santa. Our stocking’s sole purpose is to guard our letter to Santa until one day you check the chimney and the letter magically disappeared.