The 8 Stages of Applying For College

The 8 Stages of Applying For College

Hurray for never ending stress.

22
The 8 Stages of Applying For College
google images

November first, aka school scholarship deadline, has come and gone, but that does not mean that every high school senior has wrapped up their college applications. After speaking with friends and filling out my own applications, I have found a common truth in applying. To every high school senior applying to college, this one is for you.

1. Taking your SAT/ACT.

That moment when the redundant instructions about not moving on to the next part of the test until time is called is read, is the very moment that most kids realize this test score determines their entire future. Some kids will do fantastic their first time around, some kids will do alright and want to retake the test for a higher score, and other kids will bubble in C and hope for the best.

2. Family questions.

Once you take the standardized test, everything goes downhill from there. Now ever family event turns into "where are you going to go to school?" and 'what do you plan to do?". Meanwhile you still haven't heard back about your test, and you've gotta blindly send your scores to colleges while it is still free to send.

3. Test scores are in.

You really hoped you did moderately well, but you probably didn't get what you had hoped for. Now all of the schools that you sent the test scores blindly to think you're stupid. Great. Looks like that will cost a pretty penny to retake on a Saturday morning.

4. Choosing schools.

There is no way to actually apply to every school that you would like. So instead you've got to pick your top 5, or if you're like me top 2, and hope one of them will take you.This is probably the time when you realize that you have no idea where to go or what to do. When you do figure something out, it is very important to apply to your dream school. Even if you don't think you will get in, you've got to apply there. What's worse than never knowing if you would have had a shot at getting in, is never having the chance to attend at all.

5. Actually applying.

Applying itself breaks you. After applying for FAFSA, the common app, and the countless other college websites, applying to the college itself seems like it can't be any worse. On top of that you will have to pay ridiculous prices just to have someone give you a yes or no answer. The essays are long, the questions can be confusing, and it is tedious to retype all of your hobbies and personal info, but that submit button is the light at the end of the tunnel.

6. Waiting...

The second you hit submit on the last application, there is nothing else to do but sit and wait. This is probably the best part of the whole process because you know there is nothing else you could do at this point. No more nagging from parents- at least not for a few weeks. Then they want to know how much longer until you hear something. Soon mom, soon.

7. News.

One day when you head out to the mail box, there is there is that crisp, white envelope with the school logo on it. It is here, the life altering answer has arrived at your doorstep. There will be tears. There will be tears if you do get in somewhere, and there will be tears if you don't. All you can do is hope for good news, but if you don't receive the answer you wanted you've got to remember you are more than the schools that accepted you.

8. Picking a school.

Hearing back from them is not the end of it. Most kids will get a few acceptances, so from there it is the joy of making the first major decision of your life. Then you've got to apply for all the scholarships, and somewhere down the road you have to pick a major. Hurray for never ending stress.

Applying to college sucks. It is time consuming, stressful, and seems like it will never be over. Once it is, things start to look up, I promise. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you open the acceptance letter to your dream school. That euphoric moment is something I wish for everyone. If you are applying for college, I encourage you to apply to that dream school, take a deep breath, and know everything is going to be alright. The sky is not even close to the limit, my friend.