8 Songs To Add To Your Playlist When You Want To Feel Like The Main Character In A Coming-Of-Age Movie

If you want songs that will make you feel like you're in a movie, this is the list for you.

104
listening to music

Let's be honest, most teenagers pretend that they are the main character in a coming of age teen movie at some point. How could we not? We've grown up watching movies and TV shows that showcase the best parts of being young. Although the majority of these scenes are impossible to recreate in real life, certain songs can make you feel like you are the main character in your movie.

1. "The Spins" by Mac Miller

This song is perfect for almost any situation. Mac Miller's effortless flow is accompanied by Empire of the Sun's "Half Mast" beat and chorus. "The Spins" instantly improves your mood and makes you want to dance around your room. The drums and the keyboard in the song transport you into your favorite coming of age movie. It's one of those tracks that never gets old.

2. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears

This pop rock song is a go to for anybody who wants to feel like they're living in a movie. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" perfectly captures the best parts of 80's music, including "twinkling synth" and a dream-like beat. It's one of those songs that has you nodding along without you even realizing. It makes you feel like you're in the closing scene of one John Hughes' movies, like "The Breakfast Club" or "Sixteen Candles."

3. "Walking Backwards" by Leagues

"Walking Backwards" features drums and electric guitar that make it effortless to listen to. The song has even been featured in "That Awkward Moment," starring Zac Efron, Miles Teller, and Michael B. Jordan. Its vibey sound is what places it on this list. Tracks like this give you that feeling in your chest, the one where a song just hits different. Who wouldn't want to listen to a song that makes them feel like they are co-starring in a rom-com with Zac Efron?

4. "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra

gif of baby groot dancing.Giphy

"Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra was recorded in 1977. This song radiates good vibes. It has been featured in movies like "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2." It's difficult to put into words, but "Mr. Blue Sky" never fails to improve your mood. This is a must have on you're "main character'" playlist.

5. "Electric Love" by BORNS

Continuing the theme of happy songs, "Electric Love" falls into that category. The song was originally released in 2014 and has been resurged thanks to TikTok. The soothing vocals and dreamy sound make you feel like you're driving down the Pacific coast highway with your friends. The windows are down, and you're all singing along. If that doesn't radiate the main character vibes, I don't know what does.

6. "Feel Something" by Bea Miller

This hit was released in 2019. Once again, TikTok has helped in the song's popularity. The low-key sound combined with the relatable lyrics has allowed it to be a staple when it comes to this playlist. It talks about the ups and downs of human existence. While listening, it's easy to pretend you're in a coming of age movie, experiencing the scene where the main character hits a low point. Even though it's not as upbeat as some of the others on this list, it has the same effect - making you feel important and understood.

7. "All for Us" by Labrinth and Zendaya

Rue is standing, with a fair in the background.Giphy

Since its release, the show "Euphoria" has been all anyone can talk about. The show has been nominated for six Emmy's this year and rightfully so. This song was featured in the season finale of season 1 of the show. Labrinth and Zendaya both have beautiful vocals throughout the song. The song is dark and haunting, with the chanting lyrics. Listening to this song makes you feel like you're in the show. It's one of those song that you feel in your chest.

8. "Team" by Lorde

I bet you thought I'd put "Ribs" by Lorde on here. While that song does fit wonderfully on this list, her song "Team" does as well. Released in 2013, this song has the nostalgia factor, which only improves the listening experience. Lorde's unique vocals and the handclaps that are featured creates an authentic-sounding song. "Team" lets you easily picture yourself as the star of a movie about your life.