8 Reason's Traveling To Europe Should Be At The Top Of Your To Do List

I love to travel. I love to meet new people and see new things. I love being educated so why not see the world and learn more?

45

Traveling is one of the most glorious things we get to do in life. Just by hopping on a plane or driving a few extra hours, you get to enjoy a new culture whether it's overseas or just a few towns away. Adventure is out there and you never know what you're going to find. I started traveling as a child. I would frequently travel to a far off destination, whether it was Canada, Nevada, Florida, wherever it may be. As I got older my mom took me farther. She took me to many places around the U.S. from North to South, East and West. But then she took me to Europe and I was not only in a culture shock but my eyes glazed over with amazement through every new town. When I went to Europe is really when I fell in love with traveling and it's been true love ever since. But besides me. Here is why YOU need to get out there and explore.

1. You get to experience other cultures way of life.

Depending on where you go it's drastically different, even if it's the next town over, I'm sure they still do things a little out of your ordinary. I personally prefer the way Italian's enjoy their days with espresso for breakfast and a nice pastry, beautiful walks through old Italian architecture to get almost everywhere, and long dinner's with the people you enjoy where conversation lingers for hours. A lot of the people I spoke to were very friendly and always wanted to spark conversation. Anywhere you go the history can overwhelm you and draw you in with the excitement to know more. We learn how to move forward by knowing more about our history so why not indulge in the power of knowledge.

2. You get to experience new smells.

Oh my goodness, the smells. Some good. Some, not so good. There was nothing like walking into a French bakery, picking up a fresh beget and breathing in the crisp smell of fresh bread and the expresso pouring from the brew head. These scents overwhelm the streets in France and as well as many other places. Every restaurant and bakery having their own distinct smell with hints of gelato and crapes always sneaking in. In Paris, you can't walk more than a block without finding somewhere to sit and enjoy a fresh crepe filled with your choice of strawberries, maybe chocolate, or whatever your heart desires!

With the countries being much closer to each other than to the US, it's not hard to find authentic foreign cuisine. It all tastes impeccable and it usually won't cost you an arm and a leg. Some people will charge $2.50-$4.00 for an expresso but there just 1 euro and some change are all you need. Just follow the scents and see where it takes you. Unless it's down a dark alley. Maybe not there.

3. You get to try NEW FOODS & DRINK!

The foods.

There is nothing like enjoying a fresh margarita pizza on the streets of Italy followed by a few sips of espresso. The pastries in every city have their own unique flair but are the most delicious quick treats to indulge in. If you have only had ice cream and never gelato I'm sorry my friend but you must try it. The pasta is mainly made from scratch adding that extra oomph to your cream sauce and sauteed chicken. Maybe it's the chicken parm you fancy with fresh tomato sauce and local spices with other ingredients splashed in some of the purest olive oil you will taste. There is no need for balsamic vinegar in your olive oil dip because the pure taste is a flavor to be reckoned with. And hey, I'm not that big on olives. But besides that even the fast food is different and you order it differently. We walked into a McDonalds in the Netherlands and it was almost like ordering a burger at a vending machine. It was odd but so fascinating and still delicious. You honestly will have to look hard for a bad meal anywhere you go.

The drinks.

Let's be honest. THE WINE!

The boy and I went on a cruise down the Mediterranian and it was amazing. But besides that, we tried so much good wine. Wine tasting in Italy and Greece isn't the same as I've seen it done here, with the huge vineyards and just a couple sips of wine. Since wine and olive oil are a big economic feature of these Medeterainian countries there are tons of vineyards and olive farms. Most family owned and perfected over hundreds of years. During our wine tastings, they loaded us with their country or town's famous dishes and left us with bottles to taste. Bottles, not sips. We were specifically told to 'drink till the last drop' and we were all fine with this indeed. With every glass, we fell more in love with our surroundings. Maybe it was the alcohol talking. Or maybe it was the serenity of the wind whistling through the Tuscan hills without a care in the world but to enjoy where you were right then and there. I do know I will one day go back to that small little vineyard tucked away in the hills of Monte Carlo, Italy and thank them for giving me one of the best experiences of my life and again sit down to a good meal, great conversation, and perfected wine.

4. You meet and listen to new people.

The accents and the way people are, just flow differently. Everyone is so beautiful and when they speak it's like a book you can't put down. They speak at a quicker pace and most are fluent in multiple languages helping them talk to different people. The stories they have are so different because they live differently. I will have to leave this one for you to explore.

5. Your opinion of others changes.

You just don't know how other people live until you live a day in their shoes and my, is it gorgeous. From the clothes they wear (which are mighty fashionable may I add) to the jobs they have, and the streets they walk on. I never knew how the other half of the world lived. I saw pictures in books and watched the Olsen twins and Lizzie McGuire prance around the towns but never would I have imagined a way of life like the Europeans live. It's fast-paced while traveling bobbing and swerving but the culture is focused around enjoying time with your friends and family which I highly respect and hope to sit down for hours with my family talking about our days and enjoying our presence together over a nice bottle of wine and warm coffee.

6. Seeing is believing.

I couldn't have imagined how large the buildings were in the big cities. They are massive and have a certain allure, making you want to explore every room. The paintings on the ceiling and walls in some of these took years and they are a few of the most, fascinating things I have laid my eyes on. In the big cities, these buildings and monuments were made with such precision and detail the sculptures look almost lifelike. People poured their hearts and souls into their architecture and it's around every corner. Even in the small towns the buildings, maybe not inhabited but are still standing, waiting for someone to come in and bring them back to life. There is so much to see and explore I wish I started when I was younger.

7. You appreciate your home more.

Although these countries are beautiful and I hope to one day have the opportunity to reside in one, I missed my home. I missed my job and the people who surround my everyday life. I missed my dog and the daily drama that may stir up in the office. But to unplug from life and explore foreign places without the need to refresh your Instagram feed rejuvenates your mind. It opens you to explore new worlds and compare them to yours, showing us how large this 'small' world really is. It puts into perspective what is important in your daily life and helps differentiate your needs and wants.

8. If you are at all like me, you become more cultured. More wholesome.

After returning home from my trips I always come back more informed. Knowledge is power. When I came home, suddenly the silly things people say about a culture or race is different. You can now differentiate the truth from an elaborate joke turned into a stereotype. You are now informed. You now know what it's like to walk a day in a foreigners shoes. Maybe not doing their job or meeting their friends and family but you have walked the same streets they have, eaten the same foods they have tasted and been in the same shops and alleys they visit. You were able to explore a new way of life and if that doesn't change you or at least alter your perspective on the way others live, I'm not sure what will. With every new place I explored I just wanted to see more. I needed to see more places and try new foods, meet new people, and just watch the way others live. I can't wait to see more. I look into going to new places every day and just thinking about it is thrilling! Just get out there and explore new worlds. Make sure to have fun! You don't know what you'll find.