8 Reasons You Need To Watch "Sense8"

8 Reasons You Need To Watch "Sense8"

Make sure this Netflix show does not fly under your radar.

336
8 Reasons You Need To Watch "Sense8"
Inverse

With all the hype surrounding "13 Reasons Why" on Netflix season 2 of "Sense8" may have slipped under your radar. It's an amazing--albeit confusing--show that deserves your time and attention. Now is your chance to go and watch season 1 of this show if you haven't already. And if you're not sure about it, then here are some reasons to watch "Sense8".

1. The Wachowskis

If you've ever seen, or heard of, iconic films such as "The Matrix" and "V for Vendetta" then you should be familiar with the Wachowski Sisters, Lana and Lilly. Their films are stunning to look at, even if you don't like the plotline. They are also both trans women making complex sci-fi stories, which is something you don't often see in Hollywood.

2. Diverse Cast/Characters

This is probably one of the most diverse shows available right now. "Sense8" has a trans woman played by a trans woman, a black lesbian, gay men of color, and multiple people of color. In addition, one of the actors confirmed that Lana Wachowski thinks of all the characters as pansexual, easily making this one of the shows with the most LGBTQ representation in history. Which brings me to my next reason.

3. Positive LGBTQ Representation

It's hard to find shows with any LGBTQ representation let alone positive representation. But what's so great about "Sense8" is that it's able to show happy and healthy LGBTQ characters and relationships while giving the plot a separate focus. In this way, the characters don't just become their sexualities, or stereotypes of their sexualities. Instead, they're able to be developed as important and significant characters who are also proud to be queer.

4. Interesting Plot

The Wachowskis are known for their rich and unique storylines , and "Sense8" is no exception. The plot centers around a group of people who are able to share their thoughts. It's much more complicated than that, and may take a couple of watches to fully understand the mechanics, but it's so interesting that you'll want to watch it again and again to figure out what's going on.

5. It's Emotional

I will admit that I cry at a lot of things and "Sense8" made me sob harder than I did for "Titanic". But even my sister cried during some scenes of this show, and she hardly cries for anything. This show makes you connect so deeply with the characters that it's hard not to feel the same emotions as them sometimes.

6. Ace Soundtrack

Some of my favorite parts of the show is when they show an artistic montage with a song I'd never heard playing in the background.Sometimes it will have nothing to do with the plot, but these parts are so beautiful and the music so enticing that I can't look away. In the first season, they managed to make an orgy look like an Oscar-worthy art film.

7. Sex

There are shows that go over the top with sex (looking at you "Game of Thrones") and then there's "Sense8". Like I mentioned in the previous section, they make sex look like an artform. They even show all different types of sex: gay sex, lesbian sex, straight sex, sex with multiple partners. But every single one of these are just as amazing and beautiful as the last one.

8. There's Someone for Everyone

With such a rich and large cast of characters, you're bound to find someone you love. In fact, for most people there are so many characters that they have a hard time choosing their favorite (I know I do). Some of these characters might be just like you, be like someone you love, or even someone that you would never in a million years talk to. No matter what, there is at least one character for every person that watches this show to connect with.