8 Reasons to Visit London

8 Reasons to Visit London

Reasons to pay the sparkling city on the Thames a visit.

81
8 Reasons to Visit London

Over the summer, my aunt made my biggest dream come true by taking me on a trip to London, England. London is a city that has captured my attention ever since I found out the world was bigger than my backyard. The city did not disappoint. Big Ben shined beautifully in the evening sun, the Tower of London’s sturdy stone walls offered many history lessons, and the changing of the guard in front of Buckingham Palace left a lasting impression. London will always be the city I urge others to go to, and these are the reasons why.

1. Royal Exchanges

While overseas, my aunt and I visited both Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. The changing of the guard in the street in front of the Palace was a unique experience. Nowhere else will you get to witness lines of men marching while wearing bearskin hats. The strict uniformity of the march made the experience feel as if the queen herself was watching on from one of the many windows, and it was easily one of my favorite things I saw during my visit.

2. The Tube

Getting around London was a real worry of mine. The city is

too expansive to walk everywhere and the cab fare would get expensive using it every time I wanted to venture outside of my hotel. The tube was the perfect alternative and offered a unique experience on its own. Riding the tube is part of everyday life in London, taken by people from all walks of life. With stops in literally every corner of the city, it is easy to see why this mode of transportation has become a necessity to the citizens of London. Ed Sheeran has even been spotted catching a ride, though I wasn’t lucky enough to share a train car with him.

3. The Food

For me, the promise of good food is enough to get me to go anywhere. I was a little bit worried about what I would eat while in London but the food is very similar to the options offered here in the U.S. As you can imagine, every pub had fish and chips, and every time I ate them they tasted better and better and made trying other options less and less appealing.

4. The Skyline

The skyline of London is simply one of the most beautiful sights to see firsthand. The shard stands as the highest structure in Western Europe, however, it is not as easily recognized as Big Ben or the London Eye. After riding around the city in tour busses at different times of day, I suggest finding a high point as the sun sets to truly see the skyline in all of its true glory.

5. Theatre District

A visit to Covent Gardens is a must. The streets of this district are lined with little theatres, shops, and restaurants. As the hub of nightlife in London, there is always a show to catch or a speaker to hear. My aunt and I caught a late night performance of ‘The Play that Goes Wrong,’ and laughed until it hurt. This night was easily one of my favorite spent in the city and I suggest every tourist pay Covent Gardens a visit.

6. The History

The city of London has a long history spanning thousands of years. The museums do an excellent job of preserving and telling the story of London. From art to literature to history, there is a museum for every interest. My favorite bit of history came from my visit to the Tower of London. Roaming around freely allowed my aunt and I to take in the facts at our own pace, leaving us to ‘oh’ and ‘aw’ at the defeats and triumphs of the English people.

7. The People

Surprisingly, the people in London were one of my favorite aspects of the city. The people of London, despite always rushing, were kind and always willing to help us struggling tourists find the nearest attraction. There are millions of people living in London and, mixed with the thousands of tourists, it may seem as if the streets can’t possibly hold that many souls. However, the busyness of the walkways made walking to and from destinations a pleasant task.

8. The Architecture

No two buildings in London look alike. Our tour guide told us that the people of London all share one hobby: giving nicknames to the funky buildings that add character to the skyline of the city. There is, of course, the shard, the gherkin, the cheese grater, and the walkie-talkie. Most commonly known by these nicknames, only a few citizens are able to name the buildings by their real names. Guessing these names was a fun game to play while touring the city and pointing them out in pictures and telling their stories to friends and family is always an interesting experience.

There are many reasons why I suggest London as the city to visit. London is without a doubt the most beautiful city I have ever traveled to. It has many assets that work together to create one of the most unique and diverse places in the world. If a cultural vacation and long lasting memories sound like something you would be interested in, consider booking a trip to this sparkling city on the Thames.