8 Reasons Reading Books Can Beneficial For You

Reading isn’t as bad as what others may believe.

63
Unsplash

Every bookworm has heard the same comments thrown at them several times when seen with a book in hand by non-readers.

"Why would you enjoy reading?"

"Reading is so boring!"

If you haven’t been thrown these comments once when reading in public or at school, then you probably haven’t been around enough non-readers. A lot of people who don’t enjoy reading are often perplexed at the idea of reading for fun outside school or work. However, what they don’t realize is that they are constantly reading. Every time you check social media and read comments, you are reading. The only difference is that you are not reading a book.

So why do people who are bookworms, like me, enjoy reading books? There are actually several benefits.

1. It’s calming.

You can never feel as calm when watching a show as you can with a book. Whenever you feel stressed, you can pull out a book, snuggle up in a blanket and read in the quiet of your home. Reading a good book always allows you take time out of the day to relax.

2. You never get bored.

The best thing about reading books is that it’s hard to get bored when reading. If you don’t enjoy one book, you can stop reading and switch to a different book until you find the right genre. The key to reading is that you have a genre that is right for you. Most people give up on reading because they choose a genre that doesn’t match their interests. Once you find the right genre, it’s easy finding books that always keep you invested in reading, unlike watching television where you usually have a hard time finding something good to watch.

3. It transports you to other worlds.

The best thing about reading is that it transports you to another world! Whether you’re reading fantasy, fiction or a nonfiction, you usually feel like you’re inside the scene that the narrator is writing about. This especially goes for reading a good fantasy book. The world-building is one of the best features of reading a fantasy book. It can take you away from reality and make you feel like you’re living in a different world. In addition, if you are stuck at home for the summer or can’t travel, reading allows you to have the experience of going somewhere without having to leave your house.

4. Reading a book makes you get more attached to certain characters.

When you read, you can become more attached to characters than when you watch a show. When you read, you are often reading from a character’s perspective and therefore can see more behind the character’s emotions or the thoughts that drive the character’s actions. Because of this, books can make you become more attached to certain characters because you often understand and relate to the character more.

There are several books that I’ve read where I’ve become so emotionally attached to certain characters that it’s almost impossible to let go. The only downside to this is that you get almost a hangover where you mourn a finished series for a week. So, if decide to start a reading a series, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

5. Reading makes you smarter.

When you read a book, you actually learn more vocabulary and gain more insight into the world than you do from watching TV. Because books offer more information about the world and reading requires a lot of comprehension skills, books can help you become smarter.

6. Reading Improves creativity.

One obstacle that often deters people from reading is the fact that you can’t see the scene playing out in front of you. Instead, when you read, you have to imagine the scene for yourself. But what people don’t understand is that this actually helps you tap more into your imagination. This, in turn, can help improve creativity. Therefore, reading can help you become more creative.

7. You get more background or details on the plot or characters.

Anyone who’s read a book and then watched the movie adaptation knows that books always give you more details about plot and characters than movies. Because movies can only run for a limited amount of time, scenes from the book are often cut out. The “Harry Potter” movies are one example. There were many scenes that I enjoyed in the book that were not featured in the movies.

When you read the book, you'll notice more depth to the story. So if you see a popular movie that’s based on a book, you should consider reading the book first before you see the movie.

8. Reading helps you sleep better.

Reading a book helps you sleep better than if you were to watch TV before you go to bed. According to the Huffington Post,

Reading can provide you with more benefits and pleasure than watching TV. People who don’t enjoy reading miss out on all this. Therefore, if you find yourself bored from watching TV, you should consider making a trip to your local bookstore or library and find a book instead to read. You never know how much you’ve missed out on until you try reading a book yourself.