8 Perks Of Your Parents Visiting You At School

They're the greatest people in the world, they love you more than anything, and having them visit really is the best.

72
Morgan Manghera

Since the beginning of this semester, I counted down the days until my parents' scheduled trip to Washington, D.C. I was so looking forward to catching up and spending time with them, because let’s face it—I really do miss my parents while I’m away at school. Luckily, they missed me enough to want to leave their empty nest and spend a weekend with me. So, whether they come for your university’s Parents’ Weekend or another time during the year (like my parents, who make it a priority to visit during college basketball season), here are eight reasons why having them visit is a real treat.

1. The hotel.

For a few nights, you get to escape dorm life and camp out in your parents’ hotel room. Between hot (non communal) showers and cozy hotel beds, spending the weekend in a hotel is the perfect escape from the reality of campus life.

2. The food.

When Mom and Dad come to town, I book reservations at all of the restaurants that are too pricey for my student-working-a-part-time-job salary. I miss going out to eat for filet mignon or real Italian food when I’m away at school. Every time my parents come for a visit, we eat our way through the city.

3. Shopping.

Miss going on shopping sprees with your mom while you’re away from home? Chances are she does, too. Having her visit is the best opportunity to let her spoil you with all the material goods.

4. It’s a mini-vacation.

Mom and Dad coming to town is exactly like taking a vacation. Whether you go to school in a big city or a classic college town, take the time to sightsee, explore and act like a tourist on the campus that has become your home.

5. Talking in person is so much better than constant texting or daily phone calls.

Although I text my parents all throughout the day when we’re apart, talking with them in person, face-to-face, totally beats texting. Being able to tell them about your life, your classes and your friends without a phone separating you is a win-win for all of you.

6. The first hug after being away from home for so many weeks.

There’s nothing like the moment when you first see your parents after so much time away from home. It’s moments like this that I never want to forget.

7. The memories you'll make.

Having Mom and Dad visit school just adds another chapter to your story. When they leave at the end of the weekend, you’ll have so many inside jokes, stories, pictures and memories to document the visit.

8. The two people who love you more than anyone or anything are taking time out of their own busy lives to visit you and spend time with you.

Appreciate the quality time you have with your parents. They’re the greatest people in the world. They are insanely proud of all you’ve accomplished at school and live for seeing you thrive during your college experience. Enjoy each other’s company and cherish these memories forever.