8 Period Dramas You Must See

8 Period Dramas You Must See

And bring tissues because this list is full of tragic love affairs.

133
8 Period Dramas You Must See
Everything is Eventual

Movies are a wonderful thing. They can take you back to another time and place, and make you feel all sorts of emotions. There's nothing I love more than a good movie, especially if that movie is a period drama. They are my favorite type of movie because I'm a sucker for tragic love stories (which most period dramas are). I thought I'd share a few of my recommendations with you. I hope they take you back in time and make you fall in love.

1. Bright Star (2009)

Starring Abbie Cornish and Ben Whishaw it is based on the true story of the ill fated love between the poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne.

2. Becoming Jane (2007)

Starring Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy, it tells the story of Jane Austen before finding success as a writer and her struggle to find her path as well as please her family.

3. Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen, it is Jane Austen's classic tale of the snobby Mr. Darcy and the witty Elizabeth Bennett whose family is anything but functional. Their attraction to one another is undeniable despite their best efforts. This version is not as long as the other, but better in my opinion.

4. Far From The Madding Crowd (2015)

Starring Carey Mulligan and Michael Sheen, it tells the story of a savvy young woman who runs her own estate and the three very different men who are all in love with her.

5. Testament of Youth (2014)

Based on the book by Vera Brittain about her experiences during the first World War. Starring Alicia Vikander and Kit Harrington, it tells the story of three young people and how their lives and opinions are completely changed when the reality of war is right in their front yards.

6. Atonement (2007)

Starring Keira Knightley and James McAvoy, the story of a family torn apart when the youngest child accuses her sisters lover of a crime he did not commit. This is one of my favorites of all time, definitely a must see.

7. The Railway Man (2013)

Starring Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman, it tells the story of a former British Army officer who sufferers from PTSD from his days as P.O.W. in a Japanese Labor camp during WWII. He finds out that his greatest tormentor is still alive, and sets out to find him.

8. Anna Karenina (2012)

A quirky retelling of Tolstoy's classic. Starring Keira Knightley, Jude Law and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, it tells the story of a beautiful aristocrat who enters into an affair with a young count. Eventually she must face the consequences for her actions though.

You might be able to get from this that I like Keira Knightley movies, but more than that, that these are some pretty amazing love stories that will take you back in time and pull at your heartstrings. Be sure to check them out- and you might want some tissues.