8 Things I Learned In My First Week Of College

From bee stings to extra meals, here's what you need to know.

394

Well, week one of college is over and done. I can check it off and move on to my second week, in which, as I’ve heard, things start to get a little hairier. But until then, here’s a little list of the things I’ve learned this week — ranging from “duh” to completely unexpected.

1. There is good food! You just have to search a little for it.

Not gonna lie, the main dining hall at my school is a little confusing. I expected a buffet-style breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but what I got was a little different. Yes, there’s a salad bar and a fruit bar, but in order to get the good stuff — namely mac and cheese, pasta, fish and chips, or a sub — you have to go up to the station and ask for it. That can be a little daunting to a freshman, especially when all the upperclassmen have their orders down pat.

Also, I learned that the best food options might not even be at the main dining hall! I found my new favorite grub spot in the bottom of a residence life center. It’ll never be quite like your mom’s cooking, but if you search hard enough you’ll find the good stuff.

2. You can use extra meals in very creative ways.

My school has a policy that every freshman has to enroll in a meal plan with 17 meals a week. I thought that was perfectly fine, but I’m quickly realizing I don’t need $7 worth of food for every meal. And, sometimes, I just don’t have the time to trek down to the dining hall between my classes.

Saturday night, I realized I had five unused meals. That was a lot of money that was just going to go down the drain come Sunday morning when my meal count would refresh. Thankfully, my boyfriend and I got a stellar tip from some upperclassmen: we could use the rest of our meals to buy a ton of snacks and drinks to save for later, like chips and gatorade. Or, we could have a feast with our friends. We learned that if you’re going to be obligated to pay for the most expensive dining plan, you might as well use the system to its best extent.

3. You still find the same people at the gym.

You know that guy that drops the barbell really, really hard? And the guy who grunts out the number rep he’s on? Or the guy who guzzles three servings of C4? (Maybe the person you’re thinking of is all three of these combined.) He comes to college with you. In fact, his type may have multiplied by about four.

4. The mail system is delayed.

If you order something and would normally expect it to take about three days to get to you, it’ll probably take about a week to get to you in college. That’s just the way it goes. I was without much cash for the first week of college because my debit card took longer to get delivered than I expected. Make sure if you ever find yourself in a similar situation that you plan ahead and have a bit more cash on hand than you normally would — you’ll need it when you have to purchase an unexpected textbook for the first day of classes.

5. Any job is a good job.

It’s really hard to get a job in college, even more so as a freshman with no experience. I knew I had to take any job I was offered — so I took a night desk attendant job that runs from 3:30 to 7:00 AM (yes, AM) every Monday. Honestly, it’s not as bad as I thought it would be, especially considering I don’t have to do much except sign in guests. The hardest part is waking up so early, but it’s only once a week, so it’s not a bad gig.

6. No one cares how you sound in practice rooms.

Literally no one. Not a single person. Everyone is just trying to practice their instrument. So go forth and play your highest, squeakiest notes with pride.

7. The college clinician is super chill.

Yesterday I got stung by a bee in my butt. It hurt a lot more than I remembered from when I got stung when I was six. My boyfriend had to piggyback me to the clinic, and when the clinician asked me to show me the sting, I was mortified. Thankfully, she was really chill about the whole thing. In fact, the whole office was super professional, and I left feeling reassured that I had a good place to go if (when) I get sick this fall.

8. Everyone is at least a little homesick.

Even if people don’t miss their parents yet, everyone misses something about home. People miss their friends, their bed, and they definitely miss their pets. So don’t be afraid to express how you’re feeling, because you’re not alone. College, after all, isn’t just about the education, it’s about the community and the connections you make. I’ve learned it’s important to remember that we’re all in this together, and we all have a lot more in common than we think.