8 Graduation Gifts That Every College Graduate Actually Wants

The perfect parting gifts for their goodbye to college.

218
MD Duran

Instead of what to get while school shopping, the main focus right now is what to get for college students who are graduating in just a couple days. If you know a grad who will be entering the real world in little to no time, give them a gift that they will actually use.

Just about every college senior is saying hello to adulthood with a blank slate. Something that can be exciting, yet bittersweet. Whether your gift to them is a watch or something to hold their future business cards in, all the gifts will be appreciated. Here are 8 gift ideas that can help you find the perfect gift for the new grad in your life:

1. A wristwatch to help keep track of time.

Get your grad a watch to symbolize that, as scary as it might be, they have just entered adulthood. It seems as if time is not a thing until you graduate and "real" life begins and you truly learn to treasure every moment passing by.

2. Jewelry for opportunities to dress up.

This gift might seem better for women graduates, but there are men out there who do wear a piece of jewelry every now and then. With this gift, they can wear it at their graduation, to a job interview, or even to the first day of their new occupation! Jewelry can mark a momentous event like graduation, no matter if you want to buy a diamond necklace or keep it simple.

3. Money to help pay the first month's rent or first student loan payment.

As great as a candle or picture frame can be for a gift, a new graduate will always appreciate money. Money can come in many ways: cash, check, or even a gift card.

4. A nice wallet to store everything needed.

Once stepping into the real world, there tends to be credit cards, insurance cards, memberships cards, and money. It will be the time to ditch the wallet that has survived since high school, so get a recent grad something to store all of these things in.

5. A book or two to help continue learning.

Adjusting to life after graduating from college can be hard for some. It is normal for a grad to feel unprepared for life after graduating from college, and even lost or confused. Get them a book or books that can make them laugh and comfort them when they are feeling alone.

6. A business card holder to store future employers' information.

A college grad might be confused when you give them a business card holder when they haven't found a job yet, but the good thing is that business card holders can be used for your own business cards or business cards that you are collecting. They are not all expensive – search a little and you will be able to find an affordable option.

7. A bag for the soon-to-be-needed weekend getaways.

Even if your grad is moving back home or starting a life adventure in a new place, they're more than likely going to need an overnight bag. An overnight bag is good for weekend getaways or even an overnight work trip. When it comes to luggage, the opportunities are endless.

8. An upgrade from college clothes to a professional wardrobe.

Once the college excitement comes to an end, it's likely that you can no longer wear yoga pants and t-shirts out every day. Wardrobes are something that need upgrading once entering the work world. Clothes can be expensive, so offer to take your grad shopping for a few items or give them a gift card to a shop that fits the workforce.