8 Common Misconceptions About Being In a Sorority

It is possible for women to hang out with people outside of Greek life.

37
Facebook

1. You'll be best friends with all the girls.

Sorry to disappoint, but this is definitely not true. Now, that isn't to say that you won't form some amazing friendships because you will. In fact, you might be surprised. Some girls claim to find their future bridesmaids in their sorority. But just like with any sport, club, society or activity not everyone is going to be your best friend. What I can promise though is that you'll have a bunch of followers on social media and a never-ending-sea of friendly faces as you walk through campus.

2. All you wear is your letters.

It's no secret the sorority merchandise is super cute. However, just because you're part of a Greek organization doesn't mean that you'll have your letters on 24/7. You WILL, however, be expected to act appropriately and represent your sorority in a positive manner at all times, regardless of whether or not it's plastered all over your clothing.

3. You have to go out every weekend.

Again, also not true. Sure, college is about going out and having fun (responsibly, of course), but not all girls are the same. Don't think that just because you're in a sorority doesn't mean that you can't spend your Friday and Saturday nights huddled up in bed watching Netflix and doing homework. It's all about preference. Your ideal weekend might not be the same as some of your sisters' and that's totally fine.

4. You have to date a guy from a fraternity.

Being in a sorority doesn't automatically mean that you have to date anyone, let alone a guy in a fraternity. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible for women in a sorority to hang out with people outside of Greek Life, in fact, it's also highly encouraged. College is full of opportunities to meet a variety of different people from just about anywhere. Don't even think for a second that you have to limit yourself. Whether it's Brian from Alpha Sigma Phi or engineering major Luke, make sure that you're spending your time with someone who you legitimately care about and want to be with.

5. You pay for your friends.

Okay, maybe this one is semi-true. You do pay (and trust me, dues are not cheap), but it's not just for friends. Depending on which chapter you join (or that you are thinking of joining), they typically break down where exactly your money goes. Most of the time, it goes towards a lot of activities and events that are held throughout the semester and even the whole year. Sometimes it can even go towards your chapter's specific philanthropy. And while draining your bank account may not be the best thing in the world, the opportunities are fairly well worth it. So yeah, maybe you do pay for your friends, but once you have them it'll be pretty tough to let go.

6. You or your family have to have a lot of money.

As I mentioned before, dues are not cheap, and they vary greatly depending on your university. However, joining a Greek organization doesn't imply that you're "rich" or have a lot of money. Many girls in Greek Life struggle to pay for food, gas, and most importantly tuition, just like everyone else. Some sororities even have payment plan options, scholarships and even grants available for those who need a little extra help, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and situations, that's what makes your chapter so diverse and unique.

7. You don't care about your academics.

Believe it or not, there are girls who actually do care about their schoolwork and their major. In fact, many sororities actually promote scholarship to be one of their core values. Like any organization, a minimum GPA is required to remain a member, but many girls go above and beyond. Joining a sorority is a great way to meet other women in your intended field or major, which does nothing but open up a gateway of opportunities for study groups. Even if you don't share the same major, there are always girls willing to give you advice regarding a class, provide assistance or even proofread your papers when you need it.

8. You don't learn any valuable skills.

You learn chants and songs and how to take the best Instagram photos, but do you really learn anything valuable from being in a sorority? The answer to that is one big, fat yes. Time management, responsibility, and leadership are just three of the many things that you can and will ultimately learn during your time in a sorority. Many chapters contain various positions that are available to members regardless of your year or your major. You also learn the value of friendship and sisterhood. As I mentioned earlier, people come from many different backgrounds and walks of life. Within a sorority, you will interact with so many people. Whether or not you realize it, the relationships and the connections that you make will have a large impact on your life in the future. Also, by participating in various events and activities you'll ultimately learn more about yourself as an individual including where you want to go and how your life will impact others. Regardless of your age, everyone can take away something meaningful from their experience.