8 College Graduation Gifts They Actually Want

Besides cash, that is.

575

An obvious, and always appreciated, gift to give anyone, especially young professionals, fresh out of college, in a sea of debt, is cash. But for those gift givers who want to think a bit beyond the card-and-cash, look no further.

Here are eight gifts that most college grads will want, need, and use.

1. A handy photo printer

HP and Fujifilm both sell these, and they’re pretty high up on my list of things I would love to buy if I had a few hundred bucks to spare. The Fujifilm one prints out on Polaroid-ish film, so for all those pictures you take on your phone but want to be on that super cute, hipster film (but forgot to take on your hipster Fujifilm Instax camera), you have a second chance to hold as a keepsake forever.

They’re perfect for scrapbooking, collaging, decorating, and filling up little photo frames. They can come in handy at your recent graduate’s new desk when they’re trying to decorate that ugly gray cubicle.

2. Food delivery service gift cards

Uber Eats and Postmates are wonderful services available to people who live in larger cities. You can find new restaurants and try new food, all from the comfort of your smartphone whilst sitting on the couch. They’re perfect for nights when you don’t have the time or energy to cook, and you don’t necessarily want to eat pizza. Trust me, young people want this, even if they don’t know they do.

3. An espresso machine

Save that graduate’s daily trip to Starbucks (and waiting in that Starbucks line) by getting them an espresso machine. More than a Keurig, which makes drip coffees and teas, espresso machines enable users to make lattes and macchiatos and americanos, which I’m guessing is closer to what they order at Starbucks than a plain drip coffee. But, they won’t be disappointed with a Keurig either.

A Starbucks gift card could also make a good gift, if you're not looking to spend all that money!

4. Subscription services

What are they? Subscription boxes are basically a weekly/monthly/quarterly service of a prepaid box full of goodies. Food-based boxes will let you pick your week of food, and beauty and fashion boxes will surprise you with random goodies they hope you’ll love. Other boxes can send you things, and then you pay for what you want to keep, provided you send back the remaining products (don’t recommend this type of box for a gift, though!).

There are subscription services for just about everything nowadays. Meal boxes, smoothie boxes, makeup boxes, clothes boxes, dog toy boxes, lifestyle boxes... and those are just the ones I’ve seen. Look into Hello Fresh, Daily Harvest, Boxycharm, Stitch Fix, Bark Box, and FabFitFun if any of those categories intrigue you, but I know that something out there will suit the college grad if subscription services sound like a good gift to you.

5. Plants!

This is kind of like a housewarming and graduation gift in one, because hopefully the grad will be moving off to their new life post-graduation, and a nice, new, healthy plant can help them feel like they have their life together in the new home they have to make for themselves. They’re also inexpensive, so if you wanted to give them cash as well, that’s still an option for you!

6. A really nice blanket

A blanket, really? Yes! Blankets make any space feel cozier, literally. Find your grad a sturdy, stylish blanket that they’d never splurge on to match their personal style at Anthropologie or Restoration Hardware, or anywhere that sells funky, quality home decor.

7. New briefcase or bag

While I believe the era of the leather briefcase is coming to a close, and the age of backpacks with padded laptop compartments is beginning, the main point is—people are still carrying their crap in a nice bag. Invest in one for your graduate! Protecting their laptop or tablet is important to them, but so is looking professional on their first day at their new job.

8. Gas card

Getting a gas card as a gift won’t be very exciting, so if you’re looking for a wow-factor gift, this isn’t the one for you. But, unlike plain cash, you can’t spend a gas card on that new pair of sneakers you’ve been eyeing or a new toy for your dog at Target, so getting graduates a gas card will force them to spend your gift on something they actually need, like a mode of transportation.