75 Lessons You'll Learn Living On Your Own

Don't lose sight of how big our world really is.

7
Luggage Forward

No matter how ready you may think you are to be free from parental control, I'm telling you right now that being on your own is not always a walk in the park. This list originally started out at ten, but there's just too many tips I wish someone would have laid out for me prior to making the big transition. I've only been on my own for two weeks, and I've already learned way more than these seventy five lessons. Trust me, this big change will goa lotsmoother if you keep these tips in mind throughout your on, and off, campus experiences.

1. Mom was right (about most things, at least).

2. Your first few days, and nights, out are likely to go off schedule.

3. Always make time for breakfast -- you'll regret it if you don't.

4. Set you alarm earlier than usual (until you find your daily groove).

5. Aim to be 5-10 minutes early for class, work, and appointments.

6. Have a pen and notepad in your backpack/purse.

7. Write down all important information -- no, you will not remember it later.

8. Buy a water bottle (and use it daily).

9. You do not need all of your school supplies on the first day of classes.

10. But, have at least one folder, some paper, and a pen/pencil until you get your syllabuses in order.

11. Utilize campus resources -- no, seriously.

12. Carry your campus and/or state ID everywhere you go.

13. Locate campus computer labs within the first few days.

14. Your classmates will not think you are weird for asking questions -- they might even be thinking the same thing.

15. Your classmates will not think you are weird for getting their contact info -- they'll likely want yours as well.

16. Networking and making connections is a major key to success; Do not be afraid to put yourself out there.

17. Communicate regularly with these connections -- including your professors, advisors, employers, and roommate(s).

18. You will not get along with everyone. Choose your battles wisely.

19. Get a lanyard, and don't pay any mind to people who make fun of them.

20. Stock up on hot tea (it's magic for a sore throat), and cold/headache medicine on your first grocery run. Yes, you will get sick -- be prepared.

21. Keep a personal journal -- you'll thank yourself in a few years.

22. Write down your exam, project, and assignment due dates in advance.

23. Take a few minutes each day to clean your room so the mess won't build.

24. Go to class! Do not waste your, or your parents', money.

25. If you have to miss, contact your classmates and professor(s) before or after class.

26. Don't spend every night alone in your room.

27. But, don't spend every night out partying, either.

28. Make a friend who is just as sastisfied staying in as they are going out.

29. Keep an open mind, and a semi-open heart (be careful with who you trust).

30. Be kind to strangers -- you never know if you might cross paths in the future.

31. Don't let romantic relationships consume every fiber of your being.

32. Remember to focus on, and take care of, yourself.

33. Karma is real, this I promise you.

34. You'll likely be closer with those who have a similar political affiliation as you.

35. That being said, politics should not dominate your friendships.

36. A lot of your friends in high school will not be your friends in college.

37. You can be free with your money as long as you're smart with it, too -- I mean, do you really need that $20 phone case?

38. People don't have to have your blood to be considered part of your family.

39. Don't knock things until you try them.

40. It's A-OK to say, "No," to others (and yourself) sometimes.

41. Call/text with your parents and siblings -- especially if they're younger. They'll love that you're thinking of them.

42. It won't kill you to talk to your relatives for a few minutes, and you'll be glad you did in the future.

43. Make sure your future is a factor in your decision-making process.

44. It's easy to get caught up with stress and worries, so don't forget to live in the moment every once in a while.

45. Cats are easier apartment pets than dogs (and this is coming from a dog person).

46. Time is extremely valuable -- don't take it for granted.

47. Give people a chance before you pass judgement, but know your limits and dealbreakers.

48. Stop complaining so much. If you are unhappy, make a change -- no matter how big or small. It can do wonders.

49. Reach out to old friends -- you never know who's day you'll brighten.

50. Pay it forward (monetary or not), and do a good deed whenever you can.

51. There is always a way. Do not give up just because you don't believe in yourself.

52. If you are uncomfortable with a situation, get out of it sooner than later.

53. Insecurities are all in your head.

54. Embrace your body, but make your health a priority.

55. Look out the window when you travel (especially on air planes).

56. You have a talent, but it may take a while to figure out what that talent is. Don't panic.

57. Listen and think before you speak -- being observant pays off.

58. Your past is your hi(story). Tell it often, and use it to improve.

59. Don't be afraid to call people out on their bullshit.

60. Stop making excuses for yourself (and for others). You'll be so much happier.

61. White lies only get you so far -- aim to be honest. Keep it real with your peers.

62. Try to find the positive in anything, even the worst of days.

63. Thank people for their service -- even the janitor.

64. Appreciate the little things in life.

65. Patience will take you to extraordinary lengths.

66. Money and social media can only buy happiness to a certain degree.

67. Learn to read people like the back of your hand.

68. Take a step back, and evaluate your relationships. Are you getting what you are giving?

69. The only thing you owe a guy after a good date is a "thank you."

70. Make trust, respect, and loyalty priorities in all of your relationships.

71. Don't commit to an intimate relationship just to say you're in one.

72. Cry yourself to sleep once in a while -- it will do you some good to let it out and wake up refreshed.

73. Be careful when acting on emotions. Write a letter, and give it a few days before you make the decision to send it or not.

74. Be the kind of friend you would want to have. Tell people how you really feel, and don't lead them on.

75. If you can't let your freak fly around your friends, it's time to find new friends.