What is the 75 Hard and Why Am I Attempting It?

Have you seen the challenge go viral on TikTok?

113

What is the 75 Hard Challenge?

The 75 Hard challenge has been adopted by many influencers and made its way to viral fame on TikTok. So what is it? Andy Frisella is an entrepreneur, bestselling author, consultant, public speaker, and the creator of the 75 Hard challenge. Frisella invented this mental toughness challenge for ordinary people who lack discipline and confidence in their everyday lives. Upon completion of the 75 Hard, individuals develop the habits necessary for them to take control of their lives. Based on the results of those who have accomplished the program, Frisella's challenge is notably different from other fitness programs. The 75 Hard holds the person attempting accountable. The rules leave no room for negotiation. If there is a single day in which all rules are not followed to a T, the individual must start over at day one the following day. The latter is true even if that person was on day 74. Without further ado, the rules of the 75 Hard challenge are as follows:

1. Workout twice a day for 45 minutes each, one must be outside.
  2. Drink a gallon of water each day.
  3. Follow a diet of your choosing, no cheat meals or alcohol.
  4. Read 10 pages of a non-fiction book.
  5. Take a progress picture.

Although it appears the majority of the rules are physically focused, Frisella claims the results are much deeper than the external progress. The program teaches several life-changing skills, such as confidence, self-esteem, and time management. The number one excuse not to start the 75 Hard is that people do not have the time. The program undoubtedly makes the day busier, but it adds structure. Within those 75 days, you are unable to put off the rules until the following day. If you procrastinate, you're back on day one. The design of the 75 Hard is what makes it different from other fitness programs. You are forced to reconfigure your routine by eliminating unnecessary time commitments.

Upon completion, Frisella claims that your confidence will be through the roof. After almost an 11 week program, you'll feel invincible. You will have an entirely new set of skills that you can implement in all other aspects of your life, including but not limited to your career, your relationships, your spirituality, and even your academics. By beginning the 75 Hard challenge, you begin taking charge of your life in all aspects. Andy Frisella is a very convincing man. Although the benefits speak for themselves, be that as it may, I examined why I wanted to complete a program that is incredibly demanding while working a part-time job and being a full-time student.

Why Am I Doing the 75 Hard?

For several years, my life has been characterized by inconsistency. I experience extreme highs and lows with regard to my motivation. There are days when I successfully workout, I get chores accomplished, I turn in all assignments, and I even start working ahead. On the other hand, there are days when opening up the curtains and getting up before noon sounds dreadful. I struggle with inconsistency when it comes to eating as well. I overeat, I undereat, I eat what I want without feeling guilty, and I am unfairly restrictive on myself, all within the same week. Inconsistency seems to be the only consistent thing I can do efficiently. Living in my cycle of inconsistency has been frustrating and discouraging. I wanted, I needed, to reduce my days of apathy and replace them with days that are filled with purpose. I knew the 75 Hard challenge was going to be, well hard, because of my inconsistent tendencies. I enjoy structure very much. Having set times to attend class, to attend a workout class, or to study is what gets me through these incredibly challenging days. The 75 Hard is about as structured as you can get for a program.

I determined that going 75 days straight with at least those five rules accomplished before I go to sleep each night, will allow me to build confidence that I am able to work through my apathy. I figured if I can workout twice on days I'm struggling, I can go to class, I can do my laundry, I can do my little responsibilities. The thought that several days of hard work during the 75 Hard would be set back because of one day of apathy would surely keep me going. So with the knowledge that I have come so far, I will get out of bed, open my blinds, and go for a light walk.

With the 12 short days that I have been completing the program, I have realized what little of a commitment it actually is. The challenge will grant me more than it will ask of me. The 75 Hard will allow me to take proper care of myself. It will give me an external reason to battle my days full of depression with exercise of my choice, meals that give me energy, and brain food from an intellectual book. I will spend less time on my phone scrolling through mindless social media and instead get lost in a book offering me meaningful college advice. I will spend more time cooking my own meals and less money on fast food.

The 75 Hard program is a blueprint for how I want to live the rest of my life. The program does not end after 75 days. Will I celebrate the 75th day with some ice cream? Absolutely! But the bottom line is the next time I am struggling to get my motivation flowing, I will not lay in bed to avoid my responsibilities. I will spring into motion with a workout, a hearty meal, a good book, or a simple chore, because I know that I have worked through days like this before. The 75 Hard will be transformative to my mental and physical health, and give me the confidence to live the life I've been dreaming about for so many years.