7 Weird Things That Are Way Too Normal For Dorm Life

Communal bathrooms...enough said.
278

Dorms are usually the first place college kids live after they graduate from high school. As it is the first time you (and the people around you) are living alone, you see some really interesting things. From laundry to keeping up with cleaning, it is hard to figure out how life works without your parents. But, let's be honest, there are some really weird things that take place in dorms that you aren't used to at home. Some make life a little harder, but really we all have to stick it out.

1. Water bottle runs.

You see a girl walking down the hallway with five water bottles? Real world: super weird. Dorm world: super normal. We have one good water fountain on the floor and that means that we take a hike for the best water. And, by taking a hike I mean filling up every water bottle you own. Or just die thirsty.

2. Showering at any time of the day

You don't have class till 2:30 p.m.? Well, you don't need to get up till 1:00 p.m. to shower. Study all night long just to realize at 3:00 a.m. that you should probably shower? Totally normal, but just pray that the fire alarm doesn't go off.

3. Puke. In the bathroom, the shower, the hallway, the stairs, everywhere.

Freshmen should really learn to hold their own because the bathrooms don't get cleaned over the weekend and we shouldn't be confined to one of three toilets because someone couldn't make it to the toilet to vom. Instead, it spreads on the floor to contaminate two stalls. You wake up one morning and walk down the hall to find a little bit of puke on the floor. No one is shocked or freaked out. We've become desensitized. Watch your step.

4. Hallway parties.

Not actual parties, just a group of friends hanging out between their rooms talking, clogging up the hallway for those who want to pass. I will say that my friends and I are often guilty of this. But hey, sometimes you need a change of scenery, so you take to the hallways.

5. Group naps.

If you thought kindergarten would be the last time you napped in groups, you are wrong. College kids are basically five-year-olds, so naturally, group naps are a thing. You get back from game day after standing for four hours, everyone crashes in one room. I don't know if it is just our weird inability to be apart from our friends or if we just really like sleeping on the floors of our friends' rooms, but I'd highly recommend trying a group nap.

6. Ramen noodles in the drains of your bathroom sink.

When the kitchen is two-floors down, you aren't ever going to make the trip all the way downstairs to wash one bowl and a coffee cup. You go to brush your teeth in the morning and you see a pea, a small chunk of carrot and two noodles strung through the holes of the drain--nice. Thankfully, our bathroom sink produces water that is boiling hot, so we know our dishes are definitely clean and our instant Ramen is sufficiently cooked even though our hands can't feel a thing.

7. Communal bathrooms in general

You have to learn how to go to the bathroom knowing that your neighbor from three doors down is trying to do their business, too. It took about a month, but now no one cares. It's natural and it has to happen.