7 Ways To Stay Well This Flu Season

7 Ways To Stay Well This Flu Season

Tips and tricks for staying healthy

143
7 Ways To Stay Well This Flu Season

With the quickly changing weather in SC and the outbreak of the flu, it’s important to remember these tips when trying to stay healthy

1. You may not be coming into contact with infected people, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t still at risk

If your job involves handling money, it is always a good idea to keep hand sanitizer or sanitary wipes nearby. I’m a cashier at a grocery store and see hundreds of customers a day. After every 3 or 4 people that come through the line, I’m sure to clean my hands to rid them of the potential germs I may have come into contact with.

2. Don’t share food and drink

This one might seem like a no-brainer, but it can be tempting. Even if the person you are trying to share with/from hasn’t been sick, there is still a lot of risk involved with inviting any foreign germs into your system. With the quickly-changing weather in Charleston especially, immune systems are in overdrive at the moment, so do your best to help yours out.

3. MAJOR KEY: HYDRATION

I’m not sure what else there is to say about this one. I’m hesitant to admit this, but I am not a big water drinker, but when I feel a cold coming on, all of that changes instantly. Consume the daily recommended amount, plus a little more.

For stomach symptoms, Kombucha is also a great wellness tool. I could go on and on about it, but if you haven’t heard of Kombucha or aren’t knowledgeable about it, I would suggest doing some research to find out if it’s the right remedy for your gut discomfort.

Hot tea, of course, is also must-have for cold and flu season. Other than the sheer soothing properties of its temperature, different kinds of tea can help with congestion, digestion, and sleep.

4. Sleep as much as you can

That means going to bed too early and hitting the snooze button when your schedule allows (as a perpetual early riser, my boyfriend is going to cringe when he reads that). It’s important to allow your body to rest. It’s better to take it slow and get more rest than to allow yourself to become sick enough that you can’t participate in school or work or other mandatory activities.

5. Vitamin C

I legitimately swear by Vitamin C. It’s something you should take all the time. It has a myriad of benefits, but the most important ones for me are that it provides a natural energy, as well as immune system support.

When I am feeling under the weather, I typically opt for the drink-mix packets stirred into a ice water, but you can make sure you get the recommended amount by eating citrus fruits, drinking OJ with your breakfast, and even eating a few tums, whose contents are primarily Vitamin-C.

6. Use the threat of illness as an excuse to indulge in essential oil

Via more personalized research, you can kind of determine the oils that would be helpful to you, but my personal favorites are Tea Tree and Peppermint. Tea tree oil is especially potent, which makes it good for sinus relief.

I rub a microscopic amount under my nose and can tell a difference immediately. Peppermint oil is the best for headaches. Rub it into your temples, and take a few moments to relax.

The smell and the feeling work to relieve the pressure in your head. For migraines, I don’t find it particularly effective, but when I’m plagued with a pesky sinus headache, it seems to do the trick.

7. Wipe down your phone

If you’re like me, you lay your phone down all the time. And if you’re like most of the population, you have your hands all over it, all the time. If you aren’t keeping it well sanitized, anywhere or anything your hands have been or touched, essentially so has your phone. Keep baby wipes handy to prevent contamination from your beloved device.