7 Ways To Combat That Cabin Fever

7 Ways To Combat That Cabin Fever

We're trapped inside and bored as heck.

4
7 Ways To Combat That Cabin Fever
Personal Photo

We are all bored, stuck inside, lonely, and losing our minds. Not only are we losing money from our inability to go to work, we're losing our minds from an inability to do anything, or go out and do things because everything is closed.

Here are a few things you can do instead to help maintain your sanity.

1. Open those windows and blinds!

We are all houseplants with more complicated emotions, which means we need sunlight. And lots of it! Letting fresh air and sun in brings that needed serotonin and lets us at least enjoy the spring weather while enjoying the comfort and safety of our own homes. This is especially important for those who live in dorms (myself being one of these people). If you are one of the few who opted to stay in your room, you will find things get very stuffy very fast. You are in a small space with fluorescent lighting and stale air. Turn off the lights and air, and let natural light and air in and you'll be amazed how much more open the space feels. It'll do wonders for your mental health and the space itself.

2. Go outside

Self-isolation doesn't mean you can't leave the house. You just can't go to restaurants and stores and such quite as comfortably. So go to your back or front yard, go for a run down the street, take a book or several and study or relax outside. Just get fresh air, and sun on your skin. This feels great, helps your physical health, and your mental health. And it's much better than looking at screens all day. Just be careful how many people you do this with.

3. Exercise

The funny thing about this one is that it can be an indoor and outdoor activity. Do you have access to stairs? Run up and down them. Do crunches and push-ups in your room. Bench press your dog. Do sled runs with your ottoman. Get creative! Play Just Dance. Just move and get that blood pumping. Again, this is good for your mental and physical health. And it's fun. It's something to do and prevents us from not moving and becoming those people from Wall-E cuz we don't do anything. So get up and move. Dance. Have fun with it. Exercise doesn't have to involve weights. Learn how to do a handstand. Catch up on TikTok challenges. Simply do SOMETHING. Please.

4. Learn a new skill

Have you been wanting to learn how to paint, draw, play an instrument, build a computer, etc.? Is there a new hobby you never had time for? Now we have TOO MUCH time. Use it! Learning something new gives you something to practice when there's not a ton of life tasks getting in the way. Learn how to create new things. Learn how to write songs. You'll be surprised what you're capable of when you can really give something some attention.

5. Watch a scary movie (or several)

Feeling alone? Not any more you're not! Get that heart rate up! This is the perfect activity for those who didn't take my advice from the first couple of things on this list. Shut those blinds or leave them shut. Darken that room, sit in front of your screen, and find whatever is gonna spook you the most. It's hard to feel lonely when you spook yourself into feeling like you're being watched! What was that shadow down your hallway? Was that the fridge making noise or a monster knocking things over? Do you dare to find out?

6. Try new food

We all know the stores are cleared of everything normal anyway. If you have been one of the few brave enough to venture into the outside world, instead of looking for the classic beef, try that fish you haven't heard of before. Grab that cracker brand you don't recognize. Try that ice cream flavor you didn't notice or have been avoiding. Snag that veggie you've never tried. My boyfriend got so bored he ate a salad with me, and he rarely touches vegetables unless he has to.

Disclaimer: don't do this if you have food allergies. I am not encouraging a death march, just encouraging a bit of adventure for my habitual eaters.

7. Research something you've wanted to learn about.

Have you been wondering if quantum entanglement is a legitimate thing? Ever wondered why bananas are yellow? Questioning how many people have dated your favorite celebrity? Wanna dig into the conspiracy that Shakespeare as a person never existed and is actually multiple writers sharing the same pen name? Now you have the time to dig into these questions and more, and as everyone's sleep schedule is messed up, you can really grasp the 2am internet grind and find topics on YouTube you didn't know existed. Just be careful and don't go to the dark side. Explore safely, kids.

There's so many days of self isolation and work isn't open to end it. So the current problem of all generations is finding a good way to spend it. So adventure safely. Learn and try new things and try to find joy in the little things. We get through these things together, even if we have to stay physically apart. So please hang in there, have courage, stay informed, and use this as a time of growth.