7 Quick Ways to Save Money This Summer

7 Quick Ways to Save Money This Summer

Running low on cash isn't fun, so saving might be your only choice when the weather gets hot!

23
7 Quick Ways to Save Money This Summer
Learn Vest

You wake up on a bright summer morning to find that all the money you had saved from Christmas has inexplicably vanished, but it's difficult to save money when there are so many things to do and new things to buy. And though some costs are unavoidable, like new clothes or shoes, there are ways to cut corners here and there that can save you money for the items you desperately want.

1. Start a savings account and DON'T TOUCH IT!

The best way to start saving money is to put it where you aren't tempted to touch it: in a savings account. Savings accounts accumulate interest over time based on how much you have in your account, so the more you save, the more you'll earn. And though you can still withdraw money from a saving account, there's a trick to avoid that: never take any withdrawal slips, so you can't take any money out at all!

2. Borrow movies instead of seeing them in theaters.

This one is pretty obvious, movie tickets are super expensive, so if you can cut them out of your spending budget, you should. In this digital age, you don't always have to rent a movie because you can pick one up from a local library or watch one on Netflix. In fact, computers are a great way to watch shows or movies, since it's pretty easy to hook up a computer to a tv screen through an HDMI cable. To find out more on how to hook up a computer to a TV, click here.

3. Clean out old clothes.

Everyone has those shirts that they don't care for anymore but keep anyways. Why leave keep those sitting in a closet when they could be doing work for you! There are tons of websites and apps to sell your clothes, like Depop, ThreadUp or Letgo. And when you sell these clothes, you'll have more money for clothes you actually like.

4. Don't travel too far.

Traveling far away can not only be a pain, but it can be a real toll on your wallet too. Instead, opt for going somewhere in the area. If you live near a big city, there are usually tons of activities that you've never been to before, so try them out! Check online to discover cultural events or music festivals happening in your area. There are probably lots of new places for you to explore.

5. Have a bake sale during a garage sale.

Bake sales and lemonade sales don't make a lot of money, but garage sales do. This is a match made in heaven, people who go to garage sales go earlier in the morning and often crave a snack, so a bake sale is the perfect solution. From experience, you can make a lot of money from the bake sale alone, and you still get the money from the garage sale. Score!

6. Decide to stay in for dinner.

Going out to dinner with friends can be tons of fun, but it doesn't work well when you're trying to save. Something that can be equally as fun is inviting your friends over for a house party. This can include a nice home-cooked meal, some ambient music, and a lot of board games. And usually, this method of staying in is a lot better than going out to eat; it's more personal!

7. Cut corners whenever you can!

This is pretty obvious, just try not spend as much money in places that are unnecessary. Like that Spotify membership-while it might be nice-you can live with the ads! Go to Starbucks or Jamba Juice every morning? Learn how to make those drinks at home! Get your nails done every week? Do them at home! These tricks won't only save you money, but whenever you do get that treatment done, or renew that membership, it'll feel like you're treating yourself! Overall, saving money over the summer is one of the easiest and best things you can do.