7 Ways To Get Involved On Your Campus This Semester

It's not as hard as it seems.

89
University of Southern Indiana

Going back to college or starting fresh freshman year is an exciting time full of new opportunities. Often it seems that there are boundless opportunities. And many times this can be overwhelming. How does one find a group to fit in to? What places and opportunities are right for them? It may seem impossible at first, or even later on, but I am here to lift your spirits and give you some encouragement. It is possible to find a place--even if it takes a while to find that place. Below are seven ways to get involved on your college campus:

1. Go to the involvement fair

This one is fairly elementary, but I can not count how many people I know who didn't go my freshman year and then complained about feeling uninvolved on a campus full of overinvolved people. Just go and take a look around.

2. Sign up for at least five things

This does not mean you are committed to said organizations. It just simply means you will receive information (likely through email or perhaps your PO box) that will help you decided which orgs you want to get involved in.

3. Go to at least two meetings

Find someone you at least slightly know to go with you and attend at least two meetings. Preferably the ones that looked the most interesting from the various emails you received. And if you can't find someone to go with try going alone; it isn't as scary as you think it is.

4. Or maybe more, if you're feeling ambitious

It doesn't hurt to go to more meetings. Just don't overexert yourself; it is better to be more involved in a few than under-involved in many.

5. Choose at least one organization to go to as much as possible

These people will likely have similar interests and various backgrounds. It is very helpful to start what the business-professionals these days call "networking" as early as possible. Also, these people will likely become some of your closest friends. Who doesn't like that?

6. Go to free events around campus

Not only will you get free, fun, experiences you would likely pay for elsewhere, but there will likely be free food involved as well. And in college free food is the basis of one's existence. Take advantage of free everything.

7. Hang out with the people who live around you

These people will be around you nearly every day for at least nine months. Get to know them, find out what they're interested in and involved in, ask if you could perhaps tag along next time. I can guarantee that most people will welcome you with open arms and so will the people they hang out with. College campuses tend to have this effect on people.