7 Virtues AND 7 Vices Of Venting

7 Virtues AND 7 Vices Of Venting

It’s okay to let it all out, but in moderation.

161
7 Virtues AND 7 Vices Of Venting

Venting often gets a bad rap because there is such a fine line between the healing release of emotions and spewing cynicism. Expressing our grievances, unpleasant experiences, or unhappy feelings is something incredibly intimate. It often occurs when we are vulnerable and seeking some relief and help. The act of sharing such personal information can be either a helpful tool or a detrimental tool for all involved.

THE GOOD

1. You can get things off your chest.

You can cry if you need to. It’s good to get those emotions out.

2. You will become closer to those you let in.

Talking about how you feel is something not a lot of people take time to do because they don’t want to feel weak. Being vulnerable is not weakness, but a strength. You learn more about yourself and others in the process.

3. Venting helps get your emotions back to equilibrium.

You can express how you feel and start to feel sane again.

4. Your friends will be there to listen and comfort you.

You’ve been through thick and thin- your friends will be there for you no matter the situation.

5. Your friends can give you advice.

Your friends will always be there to comfort you and tell you their opinion of the circumstances you’re in, but only if you let them. Although they may not completely understand or experience whatever you’re going through, their wisdom can still help.

6. Venting can help you view the situation from a different perspective.

People who were not directly involved in your position can always see things from the outside looking in. Sometimes it’s good to have someone to remind you to step back and look at what’s going on.

7. You’ll feel better.

Talking about what’s troubling you will not only help you collect and express your thoughts, but you will have a better understanding of what you need to do to move forward. You will have the patience, empathy, and strength to confront the problem head-on.

THE BAD

1. Venting could hurt the relationships you have.

Venting at times is desirable, but it shouldn't be a constant action or need.

2. Venting to the person who caused you stress can cause more problems.

Take time to think about what you’re saying before you say it. If you immediately confront that person, you probably will be talking more emotionally than rationally. Give things a couple of hours, if not a day, to cool off before you speak to whoever is causing you stress.

3. Venting might not fix the problem head-on.

Venting often feels like a substitute solution when it comes to problem-solving. Although it may feel as though the problem has been resolved, it indeed hasn’t. You just now have a better understanding of how to approach the issue at hand.

4. Venting can be a way to deny any personal responsibility for the situation.

Venting primarily comes across as both a blaming and self-righteous action. We never really see ourselves as taking part in the issue we’re facing.

5. Venting can make you more upset in some cases.

If you’re expressing these negative feelings to the wrong person, they can interpret it wrong, and things could backfire. Instead of your friends comforting you or giving you advice, they can fire back. That wouldn’t be what you expected or wanted and will leave you feeling down even more than before.

6. Frequent venting may become a habit.

Venting is good in moderation. Sometimes we just need advice from a friend- but remember, you can’t have your friend making all your decisions for you.

7. Venting can be very unappealing.

Venting about any situation can come across to some people as negative gossip, or unnecessary drama. Sometimes people won’t even want to be around you because they don’t want to hear you out, and sometimes they don’t want to listen because venting just makes them more upset. Either way, sometimes it can be better to ask for advice instead of telling the world how much you think your life sucks.

"Be careful who you vent to. A listening ear is also a running mouth." Anonymous