7 Unusual Holiday Songs You Need to Hear This Year

For those times when you're bored of Mariah Carey all day

82
Time Out| New York

‘Tis the season to start listening to Christmas music 24/7 now that Christmas is about a week away. I'm sure you’ve gotten tired of hearing the same old Christmas songs every year. This year, after hearing “All I Want For Christmas Is You” 12 times every day, I started wondering why we never hear any new and exciting Christmas songs. Then I got inspired by my SiriusXM holiday channel which debuts some new songs, and songs that people may not always get to hear. So if you’re just as bored of hearing Jingle Bells, Deck the Halls, and different versions of Santa Baby, try listening to some of these cool, unusual Christmas songs for all your holidays tastes.

1. “Christmas Where You Are”-Five For Fighting/ Jim Brickman

(*watch here* )

Favorite Lyric: “It doesn't matter if you're near or far; It's Christmas where you are”

I wanted to put this song first because we often forget about our troops who can’t be home for Christmas, and those who don’t get to see any family for the holidays. Even when everyone else is out celebrating with friends and family, don’t let our troops be forgotten, who fight and work to protect our beautiful country so we can have happy and worry-free holidays.

2. “Christmastime (Oh Yeah)”- Barenaked Ladies

(*watch here* )

Favorite Lyric: “And I can see the happy families inside; If only for a moment, it's Christmas time”

This is a short song, but it’s worth the listen. It captures the feeling of joy that you feel around Christmastime, and how excited the atmosphere is during the holidays. It’s a little less of a pop sounding song, and a little more of a homey, acoustic, and indie type sound.

3. “Christmastime in Hollis Queens”- Run-DMC

(*watch here *)

Favorite Lyric: “And that's what Christmas is all about; The time is now, the place is here; And the whole wide world is filled with cheer”

This is a great song if you love 90’s and some good old fashioned R&B classics. It’s also great because it reflects a more realistic feeling of Christmas outside of church and singing carols, it reflects family time, good food and quality time together. Run-DMC is also classic, they should always be in the spotlight.

4. “Christmas Eve” –Kelly Clarkson

(*watch here* )

Favorite Lyric: “A party for you, and for me, A part of a magical scene, Ain't no party like Christmas Eve”

First off, be sure to listen to the live version of this song so you remember the PURE TALENT that Kelly Clarkson has! This song is so fun to remember how it felt to be a kid on Christmas eve, excited for Santa and his reindeer to come and surprise you the next morning with all your favorite presents, and time with your family.

5. “Santa’s Coming for Us” –Sia

(*watch here* )

Favorite Lyric: “Nights are getting shorter now, hot chocolate Fills the air and Christmas cheer does, too Pick a merry old Christmas tree, so lovely The joy this time here brings to you”

This song features a great and playful cast in the music video, and a really catchy tone. It also features Sia’s amazing singing talent and the fun loving feeling you get when you’re getting ready for Christmas (regardless of if the title sounds a little menacing), it’s a real jam.

6. “Say All you Want For Christmas” – Nick Jonas & Shania Twain

( *watch here *)

Favorite Lyric: “Open up your soul, I wanna know exactly what you need Say all you want for Christmas is me”

My first thought when I saw this collab is what a weird mix, but its actually genius (if you can get over the large age difference between these two singers considering the context of the song). This is a good song for people in love or looking for love this holiday season, because the season is about love and joy afterall! (For those of you single like me, try not to be too bitter, it’s still a great song!)

7. “How Great Thou Art”- Pentatonix & Jennifer Hudson

( *watch here* )

Favorite Lyric: “When Christ shall come With shout of acclamation And take me home, What joy shall fill my heart”

This is not necessarily a Christmas song, but it does reflect on the religious aspect of the holiday that a lot of people tend to forget. This version is a beautiful rendition of this song, and it truly captures the meaning of joy and blessings that surround us this season.

Try listening to some of these new songs when you’re bored of hearing the 12 days of Christmas over and over again, and use them to make your holiday season even merrier. Happy holidays!