7 New Traditions For New Year's Eve

7 New Traditions For New Year's Eve

Ideas to make this New Year's Eve the one that will change all of your New Year's Eves to come.

533
7 New Traditions For New Year's Eve
100 Layer Cake

It's that time... 2016 is right around the corner! Whether you plan to spend your night with friends, family or a significant other, your New Year's Eve will be special. Maybe in the past you've neglected this joyous celebration but not this year! Not on my watch. You will be ringing in 2016 and every year that follows with a newfound enthusiasm for that split second between Dec. 31 and the wee morning hours of the first day of January.

The saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If your enthusiasm for New Year's Eve is anything below a seven, you need to get fixing. Don't panic! I have a plethora of ideas to give your New Year's Eve plans the zest they've been longing for.

1. Last Minute Stay-cation

Plan a last minute "trip" at a local inn or hotel. Rent out a room, use the pool, order in or bring your own dinner and drinks, pop open some champagne and have a mini getaway to welcome the new year! You can find last minute deals on websites like Groupon, Orbitz, Hotwire or Kayak. If you have a particular place in mind, be sure to give them a call. Select hotels and inns have winter deals that you can take advantage of!

2. Last Minute Vacation

A new year in a new city! If you are looking for a fresh start to 2016, you might want to consider dipping into Grandma's generous Christmas gift. Websites like StudentUniverse offer students and faculty exclusive deals on trips, so you'll still be able to pocket some of that cash and maybe even pick her up a knickknack from your adventure!

3. Food Traditions

This doesn't necessarily mean you have to make a nice crock-pot meal of pork and sauerkraut like many American's do. If you're into baking, host a cookie exchange party! Everyone will meet at one house to share delectable treats baked with love and hopefully, sugar. Pick a food, make too much and eat it all!

4. Drink Traditions

The drink of New Year's Eve is without a doubt champagne, but there are other ritzy beverages out there that are yearning to be enjoyed too. Liquor.com posts new alcoholic mixes everyday and Pinterest has an enormous database of recipes for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Get out there and explore your options. Maybe you'll find a new New Year's Eve drink or you'll end up making a different one every year. Either way, you won't be sorry.

5. Ethnic/Cultural Traditions

Are you proud of your family's heritage? If so, you should consider adopting an ethnic tradition. List25 put together a video of New Year's Eve traditions from across the globe. Even if your ethnicity doesn't match any of those in the video, there is no reason not to give one of these traditions a try!

6. Fireworks/Glitter Party

If you are in the party mood, like so many on New Year's Eve, why not host a glitzy event? Even if it happens to only be a few other people and yourself, it's an excuse to get all fine-looking and whatnot. If you are an avid Pinterest-er like myself, chances are you have seen glitter food (and have secretly or not so secretly wanted to try it). Tell your friends to come dressed in metallics, glitter and sequins. Pop the bubbly, light off a few fireworks, and design a plate of glitter jello (alcoholic option: jello shots) or pour glasses of the Golden Girl Cocktail.

7. Rose Bowl Party

You cannot leave out New Year's Day! Have an at-home tailgate spread and settle in to watch the Iowa Hawkeyes take on the Stanford Cardinal in the 102nd annual Rose Bowl game. Switch houses every year or crown one friend or family member's house as the "House of the Game."