7 Basic Must Do's In San Luis Obispo

7 Basic Must Do's In San Luis Obispo

With adventures on land and in the water, San Luis Obispo has proven to be the Happiest City in America.

297
7 Basic Must Do's In San Luis Obispo
Cara Benson

As Oprah Winfrey once said, San Luis Obispo is America's Happiest City. With such a long list of amazing things to do, it's hard to narrow it down to just a few.

When visiting San Luis Obispo, here are 7 of the greatest (and most basic) "to-do" items you should have on your list.

1. Firestone

When looking for a dining experience of high rating and low price, Firestone Grill is the place for you. With BBQ as their specialty, diners can indulge themselves in the juices of ribs, tri-tip or even burgers. Firestone allows you to embrace the beautiful weather of SLO with their large outdoor dining patio. Remember to order a basket of fries, enough to share with your whole table and even some left to munch on as left overs.

2. Kreuzberg Coffee Co

Bouncing from coffee house to coffee house in San Luis Obispo is almost a hobby for some residents here. And with so many great places to choose from, I still find the “must-go” coffee place to visit is Kreuzberg Coffee Co. With calming music, cozy chairs, large tables and free Wi-Fi, Kreuzberg is the perfect place to share a cup of joe or spend the day studying. Be sure to try something off their menu too; the food is delicious!

3. Line Dancing

Take advantage of The Graduate’s Country Night every Thursday evening with line dancing! Get there at 8 p.m. for line dancing lessons taught by the Cal Poly Line Dancing Club. When the music starts at 9 p.m., move your feet and enjoy some fun company as the dancing begins. The cover charge is $10 for 18-20 year olds and $5 for 21 and older.

4. Bubblegum Alley

If you’re looking to hit the main SLO tourist spots, Bubblegum Alley should be your first stop. With over 1.7 million pieces of gum that have accumulated over the years, it is clear that Bubblegum Alley is a great place for free fun and even better picture taking. The alley is 15 feet tall and 70 feet long, found off Higuera Street between Garden and Broad Streets. Don’t forget to join the fun and add your own piece of gum to this famous tourist spot.

5. Avila/Pismo Beach Days

Being only 10 minutes away from the beach makes beach days essential in a place like SLO. Both Avila and Pismo are beautiful, clean and low populated beaches that allow their visitors to sit back and relax. Both beaches are surrounded by delicious and affordable eateries that help you take in the environment of the beach with yummy food in your stomach. Beach days are great for sitting back with your friends or to go alone and get some homework done.

6. Tri-Tip Challenge

The Tri-Tip Challenge is a tradition for the outdoorsman. It consists of three hikes, trekking to the peak of three San Luis Obispo mountains; Bishops Peak, Cerro San Luis Obispo (also known as Madonna) and the Cal Poly “P.” The Tri-Tip Challenge is completed after hiking all 3 mountains in one day and finishing off the journey with a tri-tip sandwich from Firestone.

7. Farmers Market

The San Luis Obispo Farmers' Market has been around since the early 80’s and has become a weekly tradition that the community has grown to love stretching the main drag of Downtown SLO, Higuera Street. Every Thursday night from 6-9 p.m., more than 120 food venders line the street serving everything from fresh fruits and veggies to original BBQ tri-tip and ribs. Various performers and entertainment groups are set up on street corners as live entertainment. This is a great place to embrace the community and its neighborhood goods.