7 Tips On Long-Distance Relationships

7 Tips On Long-Distance Relationships

7 things to remember when beginning a long-distance relationship in college.
1869

Let's begin by having you give yourself a big pat on the back for giving long-distance love a chance in college. Choosing whether or not to continue a relationship in college is difficult. Even after choosing to stay in the relationship, things can still be difficult as you navigate your first few weeks or months. Hopefully, you've come to this article for some sort of guidance in the process. That being said, no matter where you stand, it's important to remember these things.

1. Choosing to date someone from home while in college is not a "bad" thing.

So don't let anyone tell you that it is.

2. You really have nothing to worry about.

If you trust your feelings for your significant other, and trust their feelings for you, you really shouldn't worry. Over time you both may slightly change individually, but your feelings for each other won't. So put that worry to rest right now.

3. Communication is not only key, it's super easy.

Talking with your S.O often about how you're doing is really important. While talking to your girlfriends about how you're feeling is great, theres no better person to talk to about it with than the person it concerns. And chances are, they want to talk to you just as much as you want to talk to them. With texting, calling, facetiming, snapchatting, and everything else, staying in touch has never been easier.

4. Calling as much as everyday is normal.

If you've seen or talked to any other couples doing long-distance, you probably witnessed just how often most couples call and text.

5. You're not "missing out" on anything by being in a relationship.

As much as your family and relatives might tell you, you're not missing out on any vital experiences in college just because you're in a relationship. Choosing whether or not to go out shouldn't be based upon your relationship status. Going out with friends who are single hardly feels any different than if you were single too, and being in a relationship won't ever stop you from having a good time. Your college experience will be what you make of it, so don't let being in a relationship hold you back mentally.

6. Don't Panic.

Although it may sometimes seem like you'll never see your S.O. again and the walls are closing in, you will and they aren't. The only time I've seen a relationship not work because of distance, is when one person forgets #1-5 and panics. Its really important to remember why you started dating your S.O. in the first place, why you feel the way you do about them, and why that made you chose to do long-distance.

7. If you want it to work, it will.

It may take a while, but every couple finds their own groove and what works for them. Pretty soon you'll find out how often you both want to call or facetime, and how easy it is to stay connected. If you both have strong feelings for each other, it really won't matter how far apart you are. And coming out on the other side, you'll probably end up with a stronger, more developed relationship.