7 Tips For The First Week Of School

7 Tips For The First Week Of School

How to survive the back to school jitters.

7
7 Tips For The First Week Of School

School is finally back, and it is time to get back into the groove. For first-timers, it may seem extremely scary. Let's be honest, change is scary! Adjustment isn't easy, but it is something we all have to do eventually. To make the transition easy, here are some tips to survive your first week of school:

1. Where to sit. 

Have trouble seeing the board? Front seats for you! Struggle to stay focused, the middle is perfect for you! You don't have to be right in the front, but you're still not in the way back. Need to sprint to your next class. Get there early and get a seat in the back on the end. This will help you be less anxious about making it to your next class on time while still being able to focus on what the teacher is teaching.

2. Directions. 

If you don't think half the kids on campus use Google maps, you're so wrong. Most of my friends put their headphones in and have google maps play to read their directions, and no one knows. Everyone will think you are listening to music so you won't even have to be embarrassed about using it.

3. Look at the roster. 

If you go to PSU then Canvas allows you to see the people in your classes. This can calm your nerves by seeing familiar people or friends on the list. Use it to find people to sit with or help you with your homework!

4. Wait to buy your books.

Don't buy books ahead of time. Wait for your professor to tell you that you need them. Sometimes you may need the book, but there is a free version online so don't try to jump ahead. Patience is a virtue.

5. Avoid crowded areas.

Places like the HUB, library, bookstores, and the gym are going to be packed. Try to avoid them for the first place to feel less overwhelmed. Everyone is still adjusting and figuring out their schedules so places like these are going to be overly crowded. By the second week, it'll look like a desert area and you'll feel more comfortable.

6. Read the syllabus. 

Although this is obvious, there is always some hidden and important information! Read your syllabus before class if it is uploaded because you will also get a feel for your professor and get expectations from the class. Not reading it can cause you to not buy books, miss crucial dates, and mess things up for the class.

7. Be open to meeting new people. 

This also goes along with looking at the roster, but there are high chances that if it is your first time in school, you may not know people. Make friends with people in your class. Who knows, you can end up meeting your best friend in Bio. It is also helpful to survive the class to have people to talk to and do work with. You will feel so much more comfortable meeting people.