7 Things You Need To Know About Networking

The science behind making friends in the business world.

8
Forbes

As millennials, we live in an era of connections — you need to stay connected and network yourself in a manner that sets you up for success. One connection can make a world of difference in your everyday life, your career and your future. There are a few things that every up-and-coming adult needs to know about networking.

1. Networking is essentially the process of getting people to fall in love with you.

I don’t mean literally fall in love (although the possibilities are endless), but you do need people to like you and want to get to know you more. Networking is essentially just a fancy word for “making friends.” Most of us have been making friends since the first day of preschool; networking simply means never stopping that practice. If you want to make valuable connections, you have to be willing to invite people to become your friends in the professional world.

2. You can network anywhere.

I mean this wholeheartedly. There are opportunities to make connections around every corner. Just last week, I was sitting on the train when I noticed an older gentleman rubbing his eyes as though he was tired. I asked him about his day nonchalantly and we started chatting. Turns out he is an account executive at iHeartMedia. Before I knew it, he was handing me his business card and telling me that if I ever needed anything in radio to give him a call. BOOM. I expanded my network, right then and there on the Chicago Brown Line toward Kimball. It’s that easy. A simple hello can lead to a connection that could really make a difference for you down the road. So always be on your A game.

3. Be proactive.

People have a tendency to get it in their heads that connections will come to them. Sometimes it works that way, but the truth is that powerful connections are directly related to how proactive you are. It is vital to your success in networking that you are not afraid to make the first move. Take the leap of faith and just do it. The worst that can happen is that you just don’t connect well with a stranger. There are billions of people in this world; you’ll survive without that one.

4. Always carry a business card.

As an up-and-coming professional you should always have a business card on hand. VistaPrint has excellent specials that allow you to customize your business cards for a reasonable price. After you equip yourself with your snazzy business cards, be sure to carry them with you. You want to be prepared when the opportunity to make a connection presents itself.

5. Bring something to the table.

One of the most vital pieces of information that you can give someone you are trying to network with is what you can bring to the table. If you want to make meaningful connections, it is your job to take initiative. If you have a talent or you know you can pull some strings to help someone out, offer to do so. People are much more inclined to do something for you if they see that you have a genuine interest in helping them. If you take initiative, it will certainly pay off in the end.

6. Follow up and follow through.

As I mentioned, you can network pretty much anywhere, and it is your job to keep that connection going far beyond the initial interaction. Now that you have their card, send them an email. Something simple along the lines of: “It was great meeting you today and chatting about your career. I look forward to working with you soon.” A short follow-up email will leave just the kind of impression you’re looking to make, plus it will help the person remember you better.

Additionally, if you promised to connect them with someone or offered them a favor, follow through with it. Don’t be one of those people who says, “Oh yeah, I know someone who would be great for that,” and then never connects them with that person. Follow through with any commitments or promises you made or hinted at. It shows that you aren’t afraid to take initiative, and more importantly, it demonstrates that you are willing to help others without them reminding you. As a rule of thumb, always leave the ball in your connection’s court. Don’t ever make anyone wait on you to follow through or send an email.

7. Remember the small stuff

Once you have that connection, remember to treat the newest member of your network as you would any friend. Listen closely to the little details they tell you about their lives apart from business. If in your first encounter they mention that they have two kids and a dog, be sure to ask about little Jenny and Joshua and fur ball Jerry. Remembering small details like that shows that you are an active listener and that you have a genuine interest in the human being you have invited into your professional network.

As you can see, networking is a clear culmination of being a kind, considerate, helpful and inquisitive human. Best of luck as you venture out into the world ready and willing to make connections!