7 Things To Miss About Summer

7 Things To Miss About Summer

While it's still summer enough to enjoy them

74
7 Things To Miss About Summer
The Gateway Zone

Summer is the time for beaches and slushees. Summer is crop top and flip flop season. Summer hasn't always been my favorite season but there is almost an agreed upon way of life in the summer. Even for those people who work, there is almost a vacation mentality. Almost everyone I know takes at least a weekend away.

1. The Beach

My relationship with the beach is rocky. I hate sand but I love the water. I hate being out in the sun for too long but I also feel better when I get to be outside. Once the air and water get too cold to spend much time in, I always wish I went more. The beach may be the thing to miss most about summers.

2. Long daylight hours

My favorite thing about summer is summer nights. I love the specific smell they have, even in the city. I love how the temperature is perfect for leggings and a baggy shirt. More importantly, though, I love how daylight lasts long in the summer. The beginning part of what I'd normally consider night is still illuminated by the sun, not the moon. The worst part about fall and winter is the early darkness, which makes summer nights really easy to miss.

3. It being socially acceptable to drink iced coffee

I drink ice coffee even when the thermometer reads below freezing. I love iced coffee. I love the cold and creamy texture. I love the different flavors on top of the perfect coffee taste. I even drink my espresso shots over ice. I guess I just prefer the colder temperatures. I do not prefer the looks I get once the appropriate season for iced coffee is over and I'm still chugging a cup.

4. Time to read for fun

I love to read. Perhaps it's the inner English major in me, but I am happiest when I have a good book to read. This happiness is heightened when I get to read somewhere like the beach or a hammock. Summer is the perfect time to kick back and read a few good murder mysteries and tick some books off of the "to-read" list I have constantly going. Once the school year begins again I will have no free time to kick back with a novel. All of my reading will be saved for readings for classes. The thing I miss most about summer once it's gone is that I don't have as much time to read for fun.

5. Flip Flop Season

As summer leaves us and the weather gets colder, the need for shoes that actually cover ones feet becomes evident. This drives me bonkers. When it comes to things on my feet, less is more. I get so sad when I have to finally succumb to wearing closed-toed shoes in every day wear.

6. Spontaneous Trips

Summer is the time for spontaneity. It is the time for impromptu decisions when stress and school are a little farther in the distance. One of the best things about summer is that sense of freedom, of justification in doing things on a whim because summer is, after all, the time for relaxation and for adventure. Days away, quick trips to the beach, or to visit a close friend all characterize summer for me. Once fall hits, it feels a little harder to get away for a day or take time off from the routine.

7. Special Summer Editions

Summer is a wonderful occasion for new branding and new editions. Dunkin Donuts always has their summer coffee flavors. Usually there are new cookies and chips hitting the shelves. My personal favorite is seasonal seltzer. Sign me up for all of the new fruity flavored carbonation. Summer seasonal items are always one of the most exciting parts of summer. I definitely miss the watermelon margarita flavored seltzers when fall hits and the pumpkin spice starts rolling in.