7 Things He'll Do If He's Really The One

Because it isn't as simple as just winning you over, he has to KEEP you!

311
Emily Farrell

With cuffing season in full swing (because let's be honest, who doesn't want someone to bring home for the holidays), I think it's important to talk about the things you should be looking for from a guy who you want to take things to the next level with. He might be the cutest, funniest, most popular guy at school, but the way he TREATS you is more important than any of the superficial characteristics (even though they may have been what made him so attractive in the first place). This doesn't mean that you can't go for someone who doesn't do these 7 things, but just keep in mind that he might not be someone you want to keep around for that ~post holiday depression~ when all of the festivities come to an end.

1. He'll make an effort with your family.

He might not LOVE your family (although if he does that's an added bonus!), but he should at least treat them with respect and work to get to know them. Your family is where you came from and the people you love the most, and someone who truly cares about you will want to make a good impression on them. If he isn't really concerned with what they think of him, that might be a red flag.

2. He'll make time for you.

Everyone gets busy (I mean college alone is a full-time job), but if your S.O. loves you he will find time for you in his life. He shouldn't be dropping EVERYTHING for you all of the time (that's probably a sign that he doesn't have his own life together), but he should be eager to be with you when he can be. Whether it's a quick "I miss you" text as he's running to class, grabbing dinner before going to a meeting, or even just sitting on FaceTime together getting work done, if he genuinely wants to spend time with you, he'll make it happen.

3. He'll work to understand you.

He will never understand EVERYTHING that you're going through, but he tries. Even if him trying to understand just means sitting and quietly listening to you rant about how hard that anatomy class is for you or how mean that girl from school is being, he lets you work through your problems and stands by you while you do.

4. He'll encourage you.

You should never feel like your S.O. is working against you while you're trying to pursue your dreams. It's hard enough to find your way in college and decide what career path you want to take for the rest of your life, you shouldn't feel like the person you love Is against you too. Someone who loves you is ultimately concerned with your happiness and well being, and will make sure you feel loved and supported in whatever you decide to do.

5. He'll tell you how he feels.

This might seem like an obvious one, but you shouldn't just be assuming that this guy is into you and wants to take things to the next level. He should be voicing his feelings towards you so that you have NO questions about his love and affection. Besides, it's great to have someone remind you how much they love you, even if you already know!

6. He'll fight with you.

I don't mean terrible, screaming, "I hate you" kind of fights (although those will inevitably happen too), but he should voice his opinion and fight with you when he doesn't feel something is right. If he is telling you the things he does and doesn't like about your relationship, it gives you room to grow and improve as both a partner and a person. Even after years of being together, it's important that he talks to you about his concerns- it means he actually cares and wants to work through things for the long term!

7. You'll feel like a team when you're with him.

Even after fighting and working through things, at the end of the day, you should always feel like you and your partner are a team. If you are planning on making things work in the long term, you'll be spending a lot of time together and making some major life decisions together. He should truly be your best friend, biggest supporter, and still the same irresistible guy that you fell for in the first place!