8 Things Children Of Firefighters Can All Relate To, Too Well

8. You love the reaction you get when you say your parent is a firefighter
170662

1. Visiting the firehouse for a school field trip isn’t that big of a deal

For most kids, one of the most exciting field trips in elementary school is the day you get to walk to the local firehouse. However, if your parent sleeps there every third night, you’ll end up spending a pretty decent amount of time there. All the other kids get so excited to sit in the firetrucks and see the inside of an ambulance but that is old news to you. Been there, done that.

2. If your school fire alarm ever went off, you would hope your parents station would be the one that came

Whenever the fire alarm at school would go off you’re first thought would ALWAYS be which station would be coming, and if you would see anyone you know. As the firetrucks pulled into the parking lot, you would check the number on the side of the truck and think if you knew any firefighters at the station. You would also always wish you wore a sweatshirt with your last name on it in hopes of another firefighter recognizing you.

3. You get used to planning events around their weird work schedule

Because firefighters have such a different schedule than any other job you learn to work with it. Sometimes that means celebrating holidays a day early or getting up extra early on Christmas morning to open gifts before your dad has to leave for work. On special days you typically have to stop at the firehouse to see them.

4. You get confused if three days go by and your parent has spent every night at home

Don’t get me wrong, I love when my dad gets a vacation day but its always weird having him around for more than two full days at a time. Typically, the only time that happens is when your family actually goes on vacation.

5. It was totally normal to see a firetruck pull up to your sporting events

Just because your parent is on duty does not mean that they are willing to miss a sporting event. It never phased you or any of your teammates to see a firetruck and a squad of firefighters come to your games. However, it was always funny seeing the confused look of the other team, because they never knew why so many firemen showed up

6. Every time you see a firetruck or ambulance in your town you check to see if you know the driver

Even if you know it wont be your parent, but there is a very high chance its your parents friend. Although they wont see you, its still exciting and in a weird way, rewarding when you know the person behind the wheel.

7. You constantly get asked if you get worried when your parent is on duty

For some reason the answer is no. Although everyone is aware that this is a very dangerous job, I don’t worry. For children of firefighters, it is just simply an occupation. Since before I can remember it was normal for my dad to put on his uniform and go to work. I am used to him leaving for work in the morning and coming home the following day, so the thought of danger has never phased the kids.

Everyone always seems to think it is the coolest thing in the world to know a firefighter. When people seem amazed at the job your parent holds, it makes you proud to be able to have such an important figure as your parent.