7 Songs That Make Me Happy

7 Songs That Make Me Happy

Though we are going through a stressful time, music has got our backs. Enjoy this quick list of some songs I consider a classic.

45
7 Songs That Make Me Happy

As midterms approach we may all find ourselves in a slump. These past few days-weeks maybe, I've been feeling like I'm living day to day and haven't found myself super excited about anything upcoming except for the glimmer of spring break to come. In order to find my way out of this funk, I found myself listening to more music than I ever had before. Thus came the creation of my Top 7 songs that are currently making me the happiest right now and have helped me get out of my head a bit. These songs are completely basic and maybe even cringe but, I think these songs will help with the midterm slump and may even put you on to something you've never heard before. (Disclaimer: these songs are in no real order).

1. How to Talk - Lil Uzi Vert

I only began to listening to the Philly native, Lil Uzi Vert because my best friend basically forced his entire discography on me. This song got lost in shuffle some how, but is a hidden gem that any music lover can appreciate. As soon as the beat drops it'll put a smile on your face and remind you of summer. Odd thing to say when you listen to the lyrics about the how Uzi feels his girls should talk to him, the beat provides a sense of lightheartedness to want he's rapper about. Once I found this song I could confirm that the 'Luv is Rage 2,' album is my favorite from Uzi. I say listen to this song even in a bad mood because it's the right amount of hype to get you feeling good without completely overwhelming you.

2.Magic Hour - Jhene Aiko

I am by no means a true Jhene Aiko fan, but I have a few basic favorite songs from her and that have all probably been played out by now. With the release of her newest album named 'Chilombo,' and a recommendation from a friend I took a listen to a few songs on it. One song that stood out to me-no not "B.S.," featuring H.E.R., but the nineteenth song on the album "Magic Hour." I must admit, one of the most beautiful songs I've heard from the music that has been released in 2020 and just in general. This song unlike the first won't hype you up but it will calm you. It brings you to the meadows where the birds are chirping and the wind is blowing but very calmly. Listen to this song when it's time to unwind from a long day of classes or work and you just want to slow everything down.

3. Get Down On It - Kool & The Gang

A classic! A simple summary to a song that was released way before my time. Kool & The Gang were able to transport anyone who listened to it to a simple time, your'e at the family cookout and everybody is playing those oldies and yelling out how "Y'all don't know nothing 'bout this!" It's a song that I've been listening to on my way to class while on the shuttle and I often find myself holding back the urge to dance. As soon as the beat drops I become immensely happy and optimistic for some reason. It just kind of makes me feel like the day is going to go great. I say you should listen to this song almost once a week, it's a pick me up song.

4.Don't Stop Believin' - Journey

Okay, the way I discovered this song has got to be one of the most cringe things in my adolescent years. I was obsessed with Glee and my cousin had just got the Wii game for Glee and I fell in love. Every time I hear this song I for sure consider another classic, would remind me of the just being able to overcome. As corny as that may sound, it is so true because it just ignites a fire in me. The lyrics speak of how the day to day life can kind of break one's spirit down. This song reminds us all to continue to persevere throughout those hum drum times in life. Paired with a killer guitar solo and an iconic singer to lead the way, Journey's song has made my list and has helped make me happy. This is a good song to listen to every once in a while. It'll both remind you of Glee, if that is your kind of thing, and to never give up.

5. Electric Feel - MGMT

Though this song came out in 2007, I only discovered it in 2019 by way of hearing its remix done by the great Frank Ocean with 'Nature Feels.' The beat of this songs takes you on an outer space trip and makes you feel like you at some sort of music festival. No, I don't equate Coachella to the ever so fascinating galaxies we all live in, but this song helps recreate a mixture of the two. Every time I hear this song I too, want to dance the night away but it's a different kind of dance. it strays away from the natural two-step and evolves into a freestyle dance only I can create. This is a great song to listen to when you are on a drive through Columbia.

6. Self Control - Frank Ocean

Those who have listened to Ocean's last major project, 'Blonded,' know that this song isn't really by definition a song that should make anyone happy. This song made my happy songs play list because it is beautifully sad. The story, or the story I have assumed goes with this story is one of not really a heartbroken love but a love that is over before it could really even get started. I find stuff like that to be even sadder than actually heartbreak, however, this song still makes me so happy every time I hear it. It is a toss up for the reason that is but the ending of the song always gets me. It closes out with instruments I have no clue what they are, but it is beautiful. This song should be on your daily playlist and should never be skipped no matter the mood it'll give you a sense of happiness.

7. See You Again - Tyler the Creator ft. Kali Uchis

I close out my list with a song my friend sent me in 11th grade with absolutely no explanation. It needed no explanation. It's a gorgeous song and an Tyler the Creator favorite in my opinion. I am a sucker for love songs and so this list couldn't be done without a song with both soul and versatility. I was never really a Tyler the Creator fan before this and most will still say I'm not a true fan since I didn't really care for his old stuff. I s=found this song to be a light within the California native and a light that has only continued to blossom, inside this self-proclaimed "flower boy." This song offers up some singing from both Tyler the Creator and Uchis and a flow on a synth fulled beat. This song will immediately make you happy and give you a burst of energy as your playlist continues. I say listen to this at least once a week. It is a true banger.