7 Slasher Movies You Must Watch This Summer

Summer in the perfect time for campy slasher movies.

93
stocksnap

A common theme of horror movies is the classic camp/cabin in the woods movie, where younglings hang in the woods over a break. As corny as these slasher flicks can get, they never go out of style. The clichés and suspense of campy horror will always remind you of your first horror movie, and it is the perfect way to spend summer nights with a group of friends.

In the spirit of it being summer break for most of the youth, there are seven horror movies, both new and old, that deserve to be watched this summer.

1. "Scream"

The whole series is a staple in the classic slasher films genre. The "Scream" movie series is a household slasher movie. "Scream" followed the standards of the basic slasher trope, then it became one of the first horror movies to point out these stereotypes in the sequel. It was the fuel for horrors spoofs like "Scary Movie," and it continues to be a slasher for the ages.

2. "The Bye Bye Man"

This is a new movie but still worth the watch. "The Bye Bye Man" uses the same arc of creepy, allusive murder that classic slashers have used in the past to create a suspenseful and frightening movie. This is perfect for a movie night with friends because you don't want to watch it alone.

3. "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

If you are going on a horror movie spree this summer or watching movies with friends, you must put the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" on the list. With most movies, nothing beats the original, but even its remakes and predecessors can be the stuff of nightmares. This would be a great movie to watch on a road trip... or maybe not.

4. "The Candyman"

As sweet as the title sounds, watching this movie won't be as easy as taking candy from a baby. Even without visually disturbing material "The Candyman" manages to keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. You may never look at bees the same way again.

5. "I Know What You Did Last Summer"

Just the name gives away the paranoia and fear that this movie holds. "I Know What You Did Last Summer" has been watched through the ages and been referenced to even way after its time. Like "Scream," its plot was the fuel for the spoof "Shriek if You Know What I Did Last Friday The 13th." It uses the classic slasher tropes, but the suspense, action and mystery make it far from a corny slasher flick.

6. "Nightmare On Elm’s Street"

"Nightmare On Elm’s Street" is a classic in the horror genre in general, let alone slashers. This is not one you should watch before bed considering its whole premise is Freddy killing teens in their sleep. It's a classic, but you can't put a time limit of perfection.

7. "Child’s Play"

We all had toys as children, which makes the idea of our favorite lovable playthings coming to life to kill us that much more terrifying. "Child's Play" uses this idea and creates a humorous yet heart-stopping franchise.