7 Signs It's April At Smith College

7 Signs It's April At Smith College

“April is the cruelest month, breeding lilacs out of the dead land, mixing memory and desire, stirring dull roots with spring rain.” -T.S. Eliot

1245
7 Signs It's April At Smith College
FineArtAmerica

It’s finally April—the month Smithies long for and also dread. It’s getting warmer outside, but there’s also rain to contend with. Not to mention, our schoolwork is killing us all. (But the hope of May and the end of finals springs eternal!) Regardless of how difficult it may be, April is a beautiful month at Smith. And so, to recognize what we’ve just stepped into, here are some classic signs that it’s April at Smith.

1. The (hilarious) April Fools’ prank from Smith.

It wouldn’t be April without a classic “prank” from Smith College. This year, Smith announced its plans for a “splashatarium” complete with a 30-foot water slide and splash pool that will flow from a rooftop garden to the ground. Naturally, the slide will be designed so that students will twist and turn past books and items from Smith’s special collections while also reading water-related phrases from iconic pieces of literature. Last year, Smith presented us with ideas for the “So-Fly-A-Smith” monorail that would provide transportation from the Quad to Neilson library. While these ideas never fool us, they do provoke some interesting thoughts. After all, commuting from the Quad is rough and something really should be done about it.

2. The Boathouse opens!

Last week, the Boathouse finally opened and this means we get to enjoy Paradise Pond once more. Whether it’s in a paddle boat, a canoe or whatever type of boat you may use, rowing on Paradise Pond is a classic Smith activity and makes April much more bearable.

3. Eating lunch on Chapin Lawn.

A quintessential sign that it’s spring, lunch on Chapin Lawn is an activity we Smithies wait all winter for. Even though we’re drowning in work and can barely hear each other over WOZQ’s music, this is a relaxing activity that we all make a break in our day for.

4. Smelling the flowers in the President’s garden.

One of the best parts of walking from the Quad! The flowers around Kathy’s house make us stop and relax, even if it’s only for a brief moment.

5. Sunbathing in the Quad.

It’s not warm weather unless a bunch of Smithies are laying in the Quad in their swimsuits. One of the best parts of April is that we can enjoy being outside again—it’s so fun when we're all out in the Quad together. And whether it’s sunbathing, studying on a blanket or eating at the tables outside King/Scales, the Quad is one of the best places to enjoy April outside.

6. Taking a dip in the Mill River (or in Paradise Pond if you dare).

This is an activity every Smithie has to do at least once in their college years. April is a time when it gets warm enough to think about swimming outside. Whether you have the courage to do so is another story...

7. Sleep no longer exists.

The most prevalent symptom of April is sleep deprivation, which is inevitable. With papers, exams, readings and preparing for finals, the work never stops and, unfortunately, that means neither do our brains. But take heart, Smithies: the end of finals is near! We can do it and maybe it’s because we simply have no other choice.