7 Reasons Why Christmas in Puerto Rico Can't Be Beat

247

While it's great to enjoy the snowy Christmas, and I'm looking forward to building a snowman since it's something I still haven't done, there's nothing like Christmas back home in Puerto Rico. Here's why:

1. It's longer

Christmas in the States is over immediately after New Year's. In Puerto Rico the party goes on until almost February. In fact, I've seen people still have their tree up come Valentine's Day.

2. The food

Image courtesy of pinterest.com

I'm not sure what constitutes a typical Christmas meal in the United States, but I doubt it matches up to ours. Nothing compares to a plate of arroz con gandules, pernil, pasteles, and ensalada de coditos followed by tembleque and flan.

3. Lechón en la vara

This should be a part of point #2 since it's food, but I feel like being up in the mountain and watching a pig roast is another event in itself. No Christmas is complete without a "lechón asao."

4. Coquito

Image courtesy of alwaysorderdessert.com

Coquito is the equivalent of eggnog but better, mainly because it has coconut in it. And of course, no coquito is complete without Puerto Rican rum.

5. Los Tres Reyes Magos

Waiting for the Three Kings is way more special than waiting for Santa. Sure leaving cookies and milk out is fun, but there is something magical about going out and finding the best grass to leave out in a box underneath your bed for the camels.

6. Parrandas

Parrandas are the Puerto Rican version of Christmas caroling. People will gather at someone's house late at night with instruments ranging from guitar to güiros to tambourines. The whole point of a parranda is to "asaltar" someone else's house, meaning you stand outside and start singing loudly with the intent of waking them up and having them join you. These can go on into the early morning hours and are a ton of fun! (Though I have been guilty of skipping out early and going to bed...)

7. Las Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián

Image courtesy of everfest.com

Puerto Ricans know how to party and the Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián are no exception. These basically consist of a weekend-long party, with activities going on day and night through the streets of Old San Juan. Hundreds of thousands of people crowd the streets every year and it is something you don't want to miss.