7 Reasons Why Access Codes Piss Us Off

7 Reasons Why Access Codes Piss Us Off

If you think textbooks costs are ridiculous, wait until you have to get an access code.

188
7 Reasons Why Access Codes Piss Us Off
Rawpixel

Textbook costs hurt students every semester. We all dread the beginning of the semester because of that. Most of the money students save up during the summer ultimately just goes to textbooks or a security deposit for their apartments. As if paying for textbooks was not horrible enough, access codes are even worse.

With textbooks, you can shop around to sites like Amazon or Chegg to see what the cheapest option is. Not with access codes. Most of the time, they are one straight fee and they have to be bought brand new as each access code it unique.

What is an access code? Basically students sometimes pay upward to $300+ just to access their homework for one class and maybe get the eBook for the class. If that alone does not stir some anger, here are seven more reasons why access codes really piss off students.

1. They're too damn expensive.

I had to get an access code for $200 and it came with a physical copy of the textbook. I had a German class for $350 that covered the year and included a physical book and eBook. That's $550 for two classes just to get access to the homework that I will never see again in my life. That is someone's rent for one month. As if we aren't paying enough to go to class and get a degree.

2. They are so unnecessary.

Just put the assignments on Blackboard like every other class. It keeps things together and doesn't cost anything because it's Blackboard. We all check it way too often for grades and other class materials and updates. Just throw everything on Blackboard.

3. Automatic grading is not in your favor.

It's like the meme that has the answer as 14 when you put the number 14 as your answer and it still marks it wrong. Computers, technology, and artificial intelligence are all flawed. We will need professors to look at our work and help us learn.

4. Technical issues happen.

Wifi can crash. Computers can break or need repairs. Not everyone has time to go to the library to work on stuff. Access codes may not go through the website and then might not work and you 90 percent of the time can't get a refund for them.

Homework might not go through, and there are plethora of problems in general with connecting Blackboard to what you had for answers on your access site. Technology is just a mess with access codes and ensuring the right grade is in there.

5. "You will fail this class without this access code."

So you're saying that if you can't afford to get the book, you're going to fail. Not everyone has $200 to dispose for an access code. Some people are just going from paycheck to paycheck to make it work in college. We stretch out our money.

6. You (likely) won't get corrections or explanations of why your answer is incorrect.

If I get an answer wrong, tell me why it's wrong so I can learn, don't just give me the "oh you're answer is incorrect but we're not telling you how to fix it" crap. How can we learn if we pay for this access code to access the homework but not access the answers or ways to improve.

7. They do not reflect your academic abilities or intelligence.

Access codes are the bane of my existence. They will be yours as well. They will piss you off beyond belief. There is likely no way around them as a college student during your collegiate career.