7 Reasons We Should Spend More Time With Our Grandparents

It seems as if we don't always appreciate our grandparents, but we should.

3361
AChildGrows

I’ve always known how lucky I was to have both sets of my grandparents still living. Many people I know have lost their grandparents or may only have one from each parent still living. Both of my parents' parents are still living and I think that anyone who still has what I have should really appreciate the time they have with their grandparents. Every time I visit my grandparents, I get to here new stories or see what true love looks like and that is something amazing to me.

1. Our grandparents have great stories

My pap often tells stories about his time in World War II. Just the other day, he told me a story about how he was under the command of Eisenhower. Grandparents have stories to tell us and we should take time to listen -- these could be stories that you could one day tell your children or grandchildren.

2. They show true love

It is so amazing to go to my grandparents' house -- both my grandmother and grandfather are in their late 80s but they still do little things to show that they love each other. Love is about the little things and our grandparents can show us what kind of love we should have.

3. You never know how much time you have left

Depending on the age of your grandparents and their health, you never know how much time you have left with them. Why not take advantage of the time you do have?

4. They have saved things for you

All grandparents have something that they want to leave with their grandkids. My grandmother recently gave me the very first doll she ever had. Her father had bought it for her first Christmas back in 1929 and she wanted me to have it.

5. They have things to teach you

My grandmother has taught me how to cook and bake, she’s given me some of her recipes that have been passed down through generations. Grandparents have skills to teach us such as cooking, baking, sewing, mechanics or anything else.

6. They love you unconditionally

I was the first girl born into my father’s side of the family in over 40 years, so my birth was a big deal to my grandparents. Even if I had been a boy, their love for me would still be the same.

7. They are the best

Even when you think no one could cheer you up or make you feel better, a little time spent with the people who love you can make you feel a little bit better. They tell the best jokes and make sure you are taken care of before they let you out of their sight.

So be appreciative of the time you spend with your grandparents and if you haven’t seen them in a while, take a trip to visit them, I’m sure they would love to see you and I’m sure they have a new story to tell you. While they may have messed up parenting your parents, they’re sure to get it right with you.