7 More Bands You Should Probably Know

7 More Bands You Should Probably Know

Here comes round two.

21
7 More Bands You Should Probably Know
Mental Itch

Last week I gave my millennial brethren and older readers some homework to do. I presented a list of seven musicians and groups that should be in everyone’s musical vocabulary and told you folks looking at the screen to get out your headphones and lend your ears to some great music. I also said the list was incomplete, so here I am with seven more bands you should probably know.

Why seven, you may ask? Well, seven is a pretty important number; it’s supposedly lucky, and it shows up in the bible a bunch of times (the seven deadly sins, the seven virtues, the seven seals, the seven apostles, the seven horsemen of the apocalypse, the seven commandments) so it must mean something, right?

As before, these are groups and singer-songwriters who haven’t yet received mainstream attention or who had success in their time but their popularity has since waned. Here we go:

1. Joe Cocker

Mark this one up as a guy whose songs you most certainly know, even if his name doesn’t ring any bells. If you have ear holes and access to the outside world then you’ve probably heard Cocker’s version of “You Are So Beautiful” and his duet with Jennifer Warnes “Up Where We Belong.” But with a gravelly voice powering through 22 studio albums and a bluesy Beatles cover, it’s hard to deny the impact Joe Cocker had throughout his 50-plus year career.

I recommend opening your ears to his debut solo album, “With a Little Help from My Friends.”

2. Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and Young)

You more experienced readers are probably questioning this choice, but you’d be surprised how much these iconic names have fallen off the radar in younger circles. Since their pure rock and roll/folk rock hits rarely get radio time anymore, many millennials would be hard-pressed to even hum a tune from the super group. And for those who already know of their music, try giving all four members’ first names, if only for the sake of trivia. David, Stephen, Graham, and Neil. (No help from Google needed. Thank you, thank you.) Arguably the champions of harmony, with greats like “Southern Cross,” “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” and “Teach Your Children,” the trio that rocked through the sixties and rolled into the seventies is one that carries a legacy greater than the sum of its parts.

Check out their self-titled album for the CSN lineup, and “Déjà Vu” for Young’s first.

3. Joni Mitchell

How about a break from all these old white guys, already, right? Let’s start with an old, white woman. She is the first solo female on either list, and it is appropriate that she stands out. One might say she is the most important female songwriter of the twentieth century, producing poetic folk tunes about social and environmental issues of the time as well as personal emotion. She was respected by many and revered by David Crosby as someone “you just have to love.” And for any Counting Crows fans out there: “Big Yellow Taxi” was hers first.

Listen to her live album “Miles of Aisles” to hear what Crosby was talking about.

4. Reel Big Fish

I usually try to keep my personal opinions out of my articles, but I will admit, this addition is rather biased. You could make it your whole life without knowing Reel Big Fish, and no one would bat an eye, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t check them out. This ska-punk band that had one hit in the nineties (“Sell Out”) is one of the only bands I’ve ever fallen in love with. There was a time where I couldn’t find a song I didn’t like. For those of you who don’t know what Ska music is, think Chicago meets reggae meets the nineties. Mighty Mighty Bosstones and Smashmouth made the genre popular for about twelve minutes.

Get a feel for the band with “Turn the Radio Off,” and if ska isn’t your thing check out my personal favorite, “Cheer Up.”

5. Old Crow Medicine Show

You may know this group as the originators of “Wagon Wheel,” the bluegrass-turned-country hit made ultra-famous by Darius Rucker. Aside from performing one of the most beloved songs of the past fifteen years, they have some other folk/bluegrass tunes like “Methamphetamine” about the struggle of a family dealing with addiction.

Try out their self-titled album from 2004.

6. Langhorne Slim

Sticking with folk-rock again, here’s a guy who exemplifies the word “folk.” The term implies “of the people,” and Langhorne Slim takes a unique voice of grit and strength with pure, unadulterated music from his band, The Law, to create a sound that is unmatched in the genre today. The raucous jam “The Way We Move” and ballads like “I Love You, But Goodbye” show just how unique Langhorne Slim and the Law can be.

Give “The Way We Move” a listen and tell me it’s not the most fun three minutes of music you’ve experienced.

7. Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show

Here’s another fun group. They’re pretty much on the list solely for “Cover of ‘Rolling Stone,’” because it is one song that should, and can, never die. Again, I’m a little biased since it is the first song I ever performed with a band and continues to be the closer to most of my band’s shows, but it has become a classic and deserves a place in music history. As for Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show, they had some moderate success with a few ballads and unusual live performances that included ad-libbing riffs, testing out new songs and an undeniable sense of humor.

Take a look at “Scum of the Earth” performed live here. It’s a hoot.

There you go. Round two. You know the drill: if I left someone out, yell at me in the comments. Otherwise, have a nice day.