7 Bands You Should Probably Know

7 Bands You Should Probably Know

If you're a music fan, this is a list for you.

22
7 Bands You Should Probably Know
consequenceofsound.net

Loads of people claim to be music lovers. Many of you folks on the other side of this screen would probably fit that description. Even if you don’t, you at least like music. Everyone likes music. How could you not? My point is that music is a pretty important part of one’s culture.

Whether you’re a music fan or not, there are a few musicians, artists, and groups of whom you should at least be aware, if not a fan. Included in this list are people that either gained mainstream attention that dwindled over the years, or have not yet achieved stardom. Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Here’s another elitist hipster who thinks the only good music is the stuff of which no one’s ever heard.” While I doubt your thoughts would avoid ending a sentence with a preposition, I do respect that opinion.

But that’s not all this list is meant to impart. There are some benefits to knowing a little about lesser-known tunes. For instance, say you’re meeting a significant other’s parents for the first time, but you run out of conversation topics, and it’s starting to get uncomfortable. Old people love their music, so just guestimate their ages and drop the name of a band from their youth. You’ll be golden.

So I’m helping a brother (or sister) out with these seven musicians/bands/artists you should probably know:

1. Frank Zappa

I’m starting out with an odd one, here. Zappa’s music is what you might call “eccentric.” He doesn’t exactly get a lot of radio play, but Frank Zappa was ridiculously influential to many artists and groups that came after him including Primus, System of a Down, and Black Sabbath. Not to mention, he was instrumental (ha) in the early success of the next guy on this list.

I recommend checking out Zappa’s “Weasels Ripped My Flesh” album from 1970. Just prepare to be amazed (or exhausted).

2. Alice Cooper

Now, I’m not just talking about “School’s Out.” Alice Cooper first recorded on a Frank Zappa album and was soon rocketed into heavy metal stardom. The rock god created a type of performance that was more about theatrics than anything, performing with lights, fog, blood, electric chairs and chickens, but with power ballads like “Only Women Bleed,” he also had an ability to make incredible music.

Start with the “School’s Out” album, but pay less attention to the title song.

3. Jim Croce

There seem to be only three ways a musician can die: old age, drug overdose or (as in Jim Croce’s case) a plane crash. Taken too soon, the folk-rock star with a killer mustache left us with many tales of unsung heroes and bad boys you oughtn’t to mess around with. Croce’s storytelling was something amazing. You may be familiar with “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown,” but all his characters, like big Jim Walker, Willie “Slim” McCoy, “Speedball” Tucker and “Rapid” Roy, are like a family of degenerates and wildmen.

Take a listen to “The Lost Recordings” to hear the man live.

4. Gordon Lightfoot

Sticking with folk-rock for a moment, Gordon Lightfoot is next on our list. Arguably his most famous song, “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” commemorates the ship and crew lost in Lake Superior 41 years ago. Lightfoot’s voice is one that is both soft and strong, highly regarded by Elaine on “Seinfeld,” and Bob Dylan considered him one of the best contemporary songwriters. On an unrelated note, in his younger days, he looked like a mix of Chris Pratt and Bryan Cranston. Regardless, with ballads that’ll make grown men cry, Gordon Lightfoot is a name that should not soon be forgotten.

Watch him on Midnight Special performing “Sundown.” Remarkable.

5. The Avett Brothers

Let’s step out of the seventies, shall we? You may have heard a song or two from this modern folk-rock group. Formed by Seth and Scott Avett, two corn-fed boys from North Carolina, along with bassist Bob Crawford, the band has released nine studio albums since 2002 with singles that include “I and Love and You” and “Live and Die.” They gained some popularity during the folk-bluegrass craze a few years ago, but they have yet to be thrust into mainstream stardom.

Check out their latest album, “True Sadness,” after listening to their earlier stuff, of course.

6. The Head and the Heart

Clearly, I’m a fan of folk-rock. The Head and The Heart is a group everyone should have their ears on. Since 2011, they’ve been pumping out some incredible Indie jams, like “Lost in My Mind,” “Down in the Valley” and “Let’s be Still.” You may have heard their most recent single “All We Ever Knew” coming out the alternative radio scene, but they are much more than just a few charted songs. Plus, one of their tunes was featured in an episode of “New Girl,” so that’s something, right?

Their latest album is “Signs of Light,” but all three records are worth a listen.

7. Pink Floyd

Yes, I know: Pink Floyd is a ridiculously iconic band. Of course, you know who they are, but do me a favor: listen to a few songs that aren’t from “The Wall,” “Dark Side of the Moon,” or “Wish You Were Here.” And if you’ve grown up in the digital age, make sure if you listen to Floyd, you listen to the full album straight through. That’s a fucking experience, man. Most young people don’t appreciate this group for all their worth. I was one of those young people, only knowing their radio hits, then I took in “The Wall,” and I’ve never been the same.

I recommend experiencing “The Final Cut.” I stole my mother’s vinyl copy, and I can say with certainty she will never get it back.

So there you have it: seven groups you should probably know. Break out the headphones; dust off the turntable; pull up YouTube. Whichever way you choose to listen, just get to it. This list is incomplete, so let me know of others you think should be included. Otherwise, have a nice day.