7 Life Lessons From Buddy The Elf

7 Life Lessons From Buddy The Elf

Elf came out 14 years ago and yet it still makes us smile, laugh, or want to throw snowballs at preteens in Central Park.

181
7 Life Lessons From Buddy The Elf
YouTube

Christmas movies are a genre all their own.

You have the classics you remember seeing from age three and still can't help reciting all the words; there are the Hallmark channel movies that are virtually the same but somehow different enough that they hit us every single time with a crushing wave of giddy emotion; and there are even some that you wish didn't exist for any number of reasons. Just because a movie takes place during or focuses on Christmas, doesn't mean you can't take away more from it and spread that cheer all year long.

Elf came out 14 years ago and yet it still makes us smile, laugh, or want to throw snowballs at preteens in Central Park. Inspiration can come in many forms and from many places. In this case, it's a grown-ass man in a green and yellow elf suit.

1. Enjoy the little things in life

Let's be honest. Any day we see a dog counts as a win in the books. That being said, take notice of all the good happening around you. The big picture may seem gloomy and make us want to cry into a pillow some days, but there is so much to be thankful for--finding a dollar on the ground, seeing an old couple out to eat, dogs playing fetch, Ellen Degeneres scaring people on her show... did I mention dogs?

2. Don't be afraid to do things a little differently

I can't say if maple and candy is actually a suitable replacement for marinara sauce, but I can say that it doesn't matter. Do what makes you happy. Live outside the box and take pride in that. Maybe your way is actually ten times easier; maybe it only takes half the time; maybe it's just a whole lot more fun. Whatever your reasoning, don't be afraid to live life how you want. You do you.

3. Family is family no matter what

Not everyone has the picture perfect family and that's okay. Some of us don't have families and that's okay too. We're not going to get along with our relatives 365 days out of the year. But on the days that we do, let's appreciate them all the more for it.

4. Compliments go a long way

Whether you're working up the courage to ask that cute girl from work to get coffee or just trying to make someone's day a little brighter, nothing quite does the trick like genuine flattery. Do they have two oceans for eyes? Or a new jacket you think looks nice with their brown loafers? Tell them.

5. Be the happiness you want to see in the world

This is one of the simplest lessons from this list. Our world is far from perfect, but that doesn't mean the darkness has to consume us. Be that spark that sets off a flame. The world can be a better place; set that smile into motion.

6. Never stop believing

Whether it's Santa, God, Karma, or even yourself, don't throw away your beliefs on account of conformity or convenience. Be who you are and believe in what you want to believe. It doesn't matter if people think it's stupid, if they ridicule you, or try to disprove you. You are your own person with your own thoughts. Never let that go.

And lastly...

7. Always express your gratitude to wise sea mammals

I'm not saying it will happen all that often, but when it does...