7 LGBTQ+ Movies Everyone Should Watch Before, During, And After Pride Month

7 LGBTQ Movies Everyone Should Watch Before, During, And After Pride Month

A list of my favorite LGBT+ movies to watch.

362
Fox 2000 Pictures

Pride month may be over but that doesn't mean you can't continue to binge the amazing spectrum of LGBTQ movies that exist.

It's important to give these movies the appreciation they deserve before, during, and after pride month, which is why I wanted to make a list of LGBTQ movies that have happy or hopeful endings.

While it's important to watch films that showcase the hardships that those in the community face, it's also important to watch films that are just like any other movie.

Since the movie industry has expanded on the LGBTQ stories they are telling, those in the community can finally see happiness for characters that they relate to.

I think everyone deserves a chance to grow up with characters and love stories they can gush over. Even if you're not part of the community, each of these movies has messages and characters that anyone can relate to.

1. "The Half of It"

One of my favorites movies of this year is this Netflix original. It is a heartwarming story that uses a trope found in many romantic comedies but with an unique twist. It showcases many different forms of love, and one of the main ships isn't even centered on romance.

2. "Handsome Devil"

This is a movie that not many people know about but definitively should watch. It's an Irish-produced movie that I stumbled upon on Netflix. I'm glad I did because it instantly become one of my favorite movies.

3. "Maurice"

YouTube

It has a beautiful story and is wonderfully acted. For fans who loved the beautiful visuals of "Call Me By Your Name," you will love this movie. After I watched this movie for the first time, I fell in love with the story way more than I did with "Call Me By Your Name."

4. "Boy Erased"

It is an amazing movie even though it is heartbreaking at times. The movie, despite dealing with such a hard subject, provided the audience with a hopeful ending. It's also a story of the love that a mother has for her son and the lengths that a mother might go to for her son. It is also based on a memoir that was released on the story of Garrard Conley.

5. "Rocketman"

Hands-down one of my favorite movies of all time. I actually saw this movie four times in theater, which I believe gives credibility to how good it is. This caters more to those who love musical theater or Elton John songs. It has a great ensemble cast and the musical numbers are amazing.

6. "Love, Simon"

The Jennifer Garner monologue alone makes this movie worth watching. I cry every time I see it. This movie has an amazing soundtrack and characters everyone can relate to.

7. "In A Heartbeat (Short Film)"

I had to put this on the list even though it's not a full-length movie. It is cute, heartwarming, and you might shed a few tears. Everything about it is perfect from the direction, animation, soundtrack, and plotline.