7 Lessons Learned from 'Master of None' Season One

It’s impossible to have a romantic relationship always be at 100%.
56

"Master of None" returns on May 12! While we anxiously await its anticipated return, it only seems right to reflect on season one. A gem of a season with complex storylines about personal as well as professional lives, "Master of None" left us with some new life lessons to ponder.

1. Binge watching new shows always provides a nice temporary relief.

Sometimes you just need to kick back and put on something so far removed from your personal life. Whether with friends or alone, it’s a stress-free activity that allows you to take on someone else’s strife and crazy antics instead of your own. And with so many options there’s something for everyone so you can’t really go wrong!

2. Make vocally known your recognition of your parents’ sacrifices.

It’s easy to get so wrapped up in our lives that we can fail to applaud those who got us there. We either aren’t aware or dismiss the journey of those who came before and raised us to make our own dreams possible. Vocalize your appreciation once in awhile before you get back to talking about your own personal accomplishments. Give credit where credit is rightfully due.

3. Travel on a whim.

While it may not be practical, allow yourself to let loose every once in a while. Whether it’s a short trip to Nashville or even further in Italy or Tokyo, allow yourself the freedom to explore. Of course it won’t be cheap, but some of the most truly rewarding experiences are worth the cost. When looking back on our lives, we don’t just remember who was there, but also where we have been.

4. Don’t get stuck on answers, and instead embrace the questions.

It’s pretty quick to go from comfort to existential dread in a matter of minutes. It’s very easy for us to start to overthink and analyze our own worth and life plans when a huge change occurs in someone else’s. It’s important not to get caught in a whirlwind of securing answers and rather embrace the nature of questioning.

5. It’s impossible to have a romantic relationship always be at 100%.

While we like to believe otherwise, relationships aren’t always perfect all of the time. Sometimes they’re messy, complicated, and at their worst hard. Endurance is a big part of that, and sometimes it’s more than we can take. But it’s important to not lose sight of caring for others even when they disappoint us. Don’t go in with false expectations, but also don’t be looking for ways out once fear starts to seep in.

6. Elders are not to be discounted but appreciated.

We really take them for granted sometimes. They have so much to tell us, stories waiting to burst forth only wanting someone to listen. And why deny such a great opportunity? There is always something to be gained even from just listening to a story or two, whether it’s pure enjoyment, guidance, or discovering something new about your own circumstances.

7. Don’t get married and have kids just because everyone else is doing it.

This is perhaps the biggest false wake-up call to experience. There always seems to be a looming presence particularly when your friend group starts to become married or parents. It makes you feel like you need to join the club too! Don’t be so quick to jump on the band wagon. While it may seem appealing at the time, it probably reveals a bigger need to reflect on what you truly want. Connect those dots for yourself instead of making some reckless life changing decisions.