7 Lessons An Out-Of-State Student Needs To Know

Please stop asking why I moved here.

81
pexels

College is already difficult but being an out-of-state student adds another level of trickery. There are two types of out-of-state students, those who know the state they are traveling to and those who do not. I was the second type of student, but thankfully I was able to learn while at college. I am an out-of-state student who grew up in Iowa and moved to Virginia. In case you don’t know, those states are very different. This is a list of things you will want (or sometimes need) to know if you are planning on being an out-of-state student. This list can also be helpful for friends of out-of-state students who would like to be more understanding.

1. You’re going to pay more

A lot of schools charge out-of-state students more for tuition. At my school, I am paying twice as much as an in-state student. Yeah, TWICE. Not to mention the cost of traveling to another state and other college necessities. The price difference, if there even is one, can vary from school to school. So, make sure you do your research to find the right school for you.

2. You’re going to need a map

Navigating college is not easy, especially as a freshman. You show just how much of a confused freshman you are when you stop other students asking, “Where is this building??” or better yet, “Where am I??” Being an out-of-state student means navigating a new school and a new city. And exploring is necessary, you will need to move around at some point. But not to fret, you will make friends who can explore with you!

3. You’ll get the chance to redefine yourself

When you are an out-of-state student, chances are high that your high school friends are not moving across the country with you. When I first came to college, I knew no one; not even my roommate. But that isn’t always a bad thing. I actually really loved not knowing anyone. It gave me the chance to become who I am today. I was able to be my new and improved self without disrupting the status quo because I had created my own status quo!

4. You won't know about the norms of the state

If only I had a dollar for every time someone said, “They’re from ‘insert city/school name’, you know what that means…” and I didn’t understand what it actually meant. Certain areas have certain cultures and norms and when you’re traveling somewhere new, you won’t know the culture of a state, or even a city right away. After a full year in Virginia, I finally understand the difference between being from Northern Virginia and Virginia Beach. Another fun norm is knowing which other in-state school is supposed to be your mortal enemy.

5. You’re going to have to explain why you moved... a lot

“Oh, you’re from ‘insert state name’… why are you here?” I am here because I attend this university. I do understand the confusion, especially coming from the Midwest, but I can only explain so many times. Most times, the interrogator will keep prying until they get an answer they approve of. Students move out of state for a lot of reasons, but whatever the reason, you belong in your new home just as much as your in-state peers.

6. The lingo

I am probably the odd one out here, but I didn’t actually research the culture of my school before I had moved. I only researched the academics. This means I was corrected far too many times. At my school, The University of Virginia, we pride ourselves on our exclusive lingo. Here, you’re not a freshman, you’re a first-year. You don’t live on campus, you live on grounds. I find myself describing something to my friends back home and having to stop and explain because they’re confused as to what the Rotunda is or what grounds are.

7. You might be very far away from your friends and family

Some people want distance while at college and some people visit their families every other weekend. Both are perfectly fine, do whatever helps you to stay mentally and emotionally healthy. And don’t worry, phone calls, texts, and facetime still exist! But I must admit, I was the student who actually wanted some space from family. Luckily for me, my mother figured out how to make up for physical distance with daily phone calls and hourly texts.

Bonus lesson:

No matter why you’re an out-of-state student, you have found a new home and can be happy there. Moving out of state has changed my life in so many ways and is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The school I am attending does play a large role but moving was also very important for me. Leaving your home state is not always easy and is not the best option for everyone. But if you are considering, I suggest really doing your research because it will be a very big change; and hopefully that will be a change for the better!