7 Items Every Incoming Freshman Needs To Make Dorm-Life Drastically Easier

Here's a list of items that will help make your first year of college a smooth ride, brought to you by an FGCU Orientation Leader!

25
FGCU dorms

Packing for college can be fun, exciting, and overwhelming all in one. There are so many lists that will give you all sorts of things you may need. In this article, I laid out some of the items that helped me hack my way through freshman year:

1. Hand Truck For Move-In Day

moving boxes

Unsplash

What's more fun than carrying everything you own long distances in the August/September heat? Absolutely nothing! Who on earth knows where you're going to have to park for move-in! Therefore, bringing a hand truck will make the process a breeze. Your school may offer carts that can be checked out, however those sign ups usually go very quickly, so to avoid this try bringing your own. If you don't have one, ask around! Your mom's friend's cousin's niece may have one you can borrow.

2. Mattress Topper

mattress topper

Unsplash

Odds are your dorm bed will feel like a rock. Avoid the back pain and bring a foam mattress topper.

3. Twin XL Or Full Size Sheets

blue dorm room

Pretty much every dorm bed at any college or university is a Twin XL. Don't make the mistake of buying regular Twin sheets. They won't fit! If you plan on getting a mattress topper (which you absolutely should), you may want to invest in full size sheets. With larger sheets, they will be sure to fit over the mattress topper as well as tuck in on both sides.

4. Command Hooks... And Actually Read The Directions

dorm room

I feel like Command Hooks are a very common recommendation of what to bring when moving to college. The nice thing about Command Hooks/Strips are that they allow you to hang items on your wall without ripping the paint off. However, that is only possible when you read the directions. I knew too many people my first year that ripped massive chunks of paint off their walls because they didn't know how to work their Command products.

5. Instant Pot

If you're not getting a meal plan or you don't have at least a small interest in being able to make your own food without leaving your room, GET AN INSTANT POT. My Instant Pot changed my freshman year. As someone who's not the biggest fan of cafeteria food and was always running around doing something for my organizations, I'd find that I was never having a proper meal for dinner until I got my Instant Pot. I was able to make simple meals such as rice or pasta very quickly in my dorm without ever leaving. Also, there are tons of recipes online so you'll never run out of ideas of things to make with your Instant Pot. The best part is that all you have to do is plug it into the wall, dump in your food, turn it on, and walk away!

6. Laundry Basket With Wheels

laundry basket with wheels

Melissa Kessler

No matter what school you go to, you're probably going to have to take a hike when it's time to do your laundry. I made the mistake my freshman year of getting a "cute" laundry basket that would be extremely heavy to carry through the halls all the way to the laundry room. Avoid the struggle and get a basket with wheels.

7. Bag Of Quarters (For Laundry)

jar of change

My university laundromats require payment in quarters. Before coming to college, scour through your house to find quarters and put them in a separate baggy. This way you'll always have them available when you need them!