7 GCBC Drinks Recommended By Students, For Students

GCBC accomodates every GCU students' need for a caffeine pick me up!

1616
Photo by: Maria Gudani

The Grand Canyon Beverage Company (GCBC) is GCU's own coffee company founded by alumni to provide for students by the students. After an array of coffee places made their way to GCU for numerous years, the school decided to create a business centered around employing and serving GCU's students in partnership with companies like Fractured Prune Donuts. Only opening in the fall of 2016, GCBC has already become the coffee place coined a favorite hangout and studying spot. Additionally, students have already established their go-to drinks on their way to classes or fuel for late night cramming. Here are some recommended drinks at GCBC by students, for students:

1. The Cold Brew Coffee

GCBC offers cold brew coffee on tap, and this coffee isn't for everyone. On its own, the cold brew gives out a strong and bold taste perfect for anyone that has an acquired taste for long hours of studying. Also great with some cream and sugar, like your dad's coffee but hip.

2. Summer Peach Tea with Lemonade

This is perfect for the non-coffee drinker who want a nice refreshing drink to sip poolside during study break. The sweetness of the lemonade brings out more taste from the peach tea, which makes it twice as sweet. This is a personal go-to drink whenever I feel the need to treat myself after finishing a weekly article on time.

3. Watermelon Lemonade

Another great drink for non-coffee drinkers who aren't fond of tea either. The watermelon lemonade can be considered a refreshing taste of heaven. This drink brings out the summer vibes in the middle of December -- or in Arizona, basically an extension of GCU's year long weather, which constitutes people wearing shorts and chacos every day.

4. Blackberry Lemonade w/Coconut Milk

A GCU student's love for lemonade can almost compete with their love for chicken. As bizarre as it seems, adding coconut milk to lemonade, they just blend so well together. It may not be for everyone, but it is definitely a recommendation for anyone that loves blackberries.

5. White Chocolate Mocha with Almond Milk

Now for a break from teas and lemonades, let's bring you a non-dairy drink. When you substitute almond milk instead of dairy milk, you are greeted with a pleasant, nutty taste followed by the chocolaty sweetness of the White Chocolate Mocha. It's almost like drinking a Hershey's with almonds chocolate bar. This is my caffeine go-to drink, and coincidentally what I had while writing this article.

6. Any Macchiato

Macchiato in Italian means "marked," and it's no question that this coffee drink is the perfect balance of bold espresso flavor complemented by the creaminess of milk. This drink is perfect if you need an urgent caffeine pick me up but still want some sweetness. Personally, whether hot or cold, a caramel macchiato is the drink to have when it's midterm or finals season.

7. The Haboob

WARNING: Any item from the Monsoon menu consists of an extra shot of espresso, and these drinks pack a powerful punch followed by coffee jitters. The Haboob consists of a sweet combination of vanilla, caramel, and hazelnut that ties in with the espresso. A perfect drink to have before any huge GCU basketball game!

To be honest, I haven't had every single drink from GCBC, only a few. However, I do trust the idea that each one meets anyone's taste. The main idea of the Grand Canyon Beverage Company is to give back to Lopeland, whether it's providing quality drinks or giving out double stamps on their punchcards every Thursday. It's no surprise that GCBC's growth as a company can be similar to the school's own development, especially as the place to go in Phoenix for education and caffeine.