7 Freshmen College Tips
Social Impact

7 Freshmen College Tips

In this list are 7 things that may or may not help you in your college journey!

20
7 Freshmen College Tips

Summer is almost over and school is just about to start. Most students are going into middle school or even high school. However, a lot of students are taking their first steps onto a college campus. Those kids are dealing with orientations, working on schedules, and some even moving out of state. College is a new journey in itself and I am here to give you 7 things that might just help you ease into it.

Don't start off with an 8 am class​​

Early birds do not always catch the worm. Unless your actually a bird, or have a job that prevents you from doing later classes; do not get an 8 am class. It is not worth you having to struggle to pay attention to the information you might not remember. You might as well try and get that same class at 10 am and retain some of the teachings. Also, another plus is there is no chance of sleeping in past your class time.

Always stay on top of it 

When it comes to college, students need to stay in the loop. You need to use calendars, organizational tools, or even just sticking notes to keep track of projects and other assignments. Sometimes professors can load on the work the first week and then expect you to just keep going with the flow and it gets overwhelming at times. An easy tip is to write the syllabus out on a calendar when it's posted; then, you will have the whole semester and can work from there.

Use your resources

We live in a technological age where anything and almost everything is at our fingertips. So, as college students we should utilize what we have. Advice to any freshman is to use google, Quizlet, Chegg and any other outlets that you deem necessary. Also, there is usually a library on campus that has thousands of books that you can use for research. Explore your campus and there might be hidden things that may help you in the future.

Smelling Good

If you feel you don't need this section, then scroll past. However, some people need a little bit of encouragement or a reminder in this area. Please keep yourselves and the area around you clean. Nobody wants you showing up to class smelling like you just rolled out of a bed of onions. Be considerate of others. Also, keep your dorm room clean also and not just for the inspections but also for your roommate. A tip to the wise is to bring flip flops into showers that are used by multiple roommates just for the simple fact of the people before might not have cleaned it.

Stay Involved

This one is a big one on any campus. Even on small campuses, there is a lot to do and explore. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and go to an event or a forum. Campuses try and make clubs and activities for everyone. There are ways to meet people through Greek Life, sports or even chess club. However, do your research and go on social media and find out what your campus has and then make your decision. It can't hurt anything to try.

Have a friend around 

I know it's hard coming to a new campus and making friends and that is understandable. However, once you settle in and find that one, keep them around. College life is really hard to do by yourself and you need someone in your corner to be rooting for you and not just your mom. Plus, you will have a companion on any type of adventure you choose to go on.

Don't get overwhelmed

Last but not least, don't stress. I know it's easier said than done but, it can be done. Mental health is the biggest thing I think that new coming college students need to be aware about. Just keep it simple and don't overthink situations. If you need help there are tons of counselors and professors that can help. As incoming freshman you set yourslef at high standard and also sometimes you want to be involved in everything. Take a minute before signing up for things and make sure you have room because if you get overwhelmed with too much on your plate, then your studies could take a downfall.